• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hey all,

So I finally made the switch to Android, with the Atrix 2 being my first. It's got quite a learning curve (from someone used to using a feature phone + iPod touch), but I'd say I'm learning decently enough.

However, I'm having a few issues that I don't know if it's Android's fault or the phone's fault. One such issue is that APNdroid doesn't work the way it should. I wanted a way to disable 3g/4g but leave MMS enabled (since I go to a completely wifi-enabled college) so I can receive media messages without the phone using up data (cause, you know, limited plan and all). However, it never seems to work properly. I set up the application, but when I use the widget, it will always stay green--and yet, the data connection will always be terminated. No data, no MMS capabilities.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: has anyone else tried this application and had it work? I don't know if it's just unsupported by 2.3.5 or if my Atrix 2 is defective (I seem to have a massive battery issue, but that could be from me simply installing the wrong applications.)

Thanks!

Hey all,

So I finally made the switch to Android, with the Atrix 2 being my first. It's got quite a learning curve (from someone used to using a feature phone + iPod touch), but I'd say I'm learning decently enough.

However, I'm having a few issues that I don't know if it's Android's fault or the phone's fault. One such issue is that APNdroid doesn't work the way it should. I wanted a way to disable 3g/4g but leave MMS enabled (since I go to a completely wifi-enabled college) so I can receive media messages without the phone using up data (cause, you know, limited plan and all). However, it never seems to work properly. I set up the application, but when I use the widget, it will always stay green--and yet, the data connection will always be terminated. No data, no MMS capabilities.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: has anyone else tried this application and had it work? I don't know if it's just unsupported by 2.3.5 or if my Atrix 2 is defective (I seem to have a massive battery issue, but that could be from me simply installing the wrong applications.)

Thanks!
MMS can only be sent/rcvd on 3g/4g.....I looked in to that till I was bleeding from all orofices. I thought there was something wrong with my phone for a while but that's not the case.

Upvote 0
So wait, why is there even an option to allow MMS within APNdroid? I understand I can simply disable data from within the battery and data manager settings, but that also kills MMS. I was looking for a way to disable 3g/4g but still get MMS. I figured that since there were two separate APNs for both HSDA+ data and MMS, there could be a way to differentiate between the two.

At this point, I simply chalked it up to APNdroid not supporting the Atrix2 yet, since I saw others complain about it not working with the SGSII.

Upvote 0
So wait, why is there even an option to allow MMS within APNdroid? I understand I can simply disable data from within the battery and data manager settings, but that also kills MMS. I was looking for a way to disable 3g/4g but still get MMS. I figured that since there were two separate APNs for both HSDA+ data and MMS, there could be a way to differentiate between the two.

At this point, I simply chalked it up to APNdroid not supporting the Atrix2 yet, since I saw others complain about it not working with the SGSII.
I have no experience with said app so I don't know. I just know with no data connection you won't get mms.

Upvote 0
No experience with the app but I do know when wifi is enabled the phone defaults to wifi for data. Which in case should take care of your usage concerns.

Yeah, I thought about that. I don't know quite how badly having wifi on will drain the battery. I did just get the phone two days ago, so I don't exactly know to what extent the battery can handle the wifi constantly on (since the battery has to go through a few charge cycles to be optimized, if I'm not mistaken.)

You think it'll last me the day if I leave wifi on and don't do much else besides checking email? I heard such good things about this phone's battery life, I suppose I'll start seeing it after it gets adjusted to being used.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones