• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App against Cyberbullying and online predators

Hi,

We are a young startup from Philadelphia that was established by graduate students from the University of Pennsylvania. We won a few regional startup competitions, received grants from Upenn and were featured in some local newspapers.
We developed a new android service that alerts parents about cyberbullying and online predators and just started a pilot with a few parents.
We look for more parents to test it and give us some feedback. If your kids are 9-14 years old, use Android, and you want to give it a try for free, message me, and I'll provide all the needed details.

Ron

Reactions: ocnbrze and svim
Hi,

We are a young startup from Philadelphia that was established by graduate students from the University of Pennsylvania. We won a few regional startup competitions, received grants from Upenn and were featured in some local newspapers.
We developed a new android service that alerts parents about cyberbullying and online predators and just started a pilot with a few parents.
We look for more parents to test it and give us some feedback. If your kids are 9-14 years old, use Android, and you want to give it a try for free, message me, and I'll provide all the needed details.

Ron

How can I read more about your project?

Upvote 0
How does this "cyber bullying" I've read about actually happen?
It can play out in a myriad of ways, so it's hard to explain briefly. Let's just look at one example.

A child, say they're 11, gets a phone or tablet and starts using social media. They post photos and talk about their soccer game, or whatever. Other people, some known by the child in real life and some not, start attacking them online. Posting horrible lies about them, calling them names, telling them they're too ugly to post pictures online...stuff adults might be able to brush off, but kids are different. (I know I don't have to tell you that!)

So this goes on, escalating to threats of physical harm, physical attacks on their home, telling them they're worthless and should kill themselves. And some of them do. :eek:

It's emotional/psychological torture. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones