• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App alternative to knock knock to turn ON the phone

dportal2006

Android Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2011
My G2 knock knock feature is buggy. Is there an app alternative to turn on the screen? I use another app to turn it off that works really well but i can't find any to turn it on. I tried one that uses the proximity sensor but it is complicated and frankly it doesn't work well at all.

Anyone else has tried something else?

Many people with the G2 say the knock on is buggy - but, there is a knock-on timer delay. That is to say, if the phone has been moved around alot, banged, put on a counter, taken out of your pocket etc etc etc - the countdown delay timer for the knock-on feature is activated. It will NOT knock on for "X:XX" time because it senses that it may be an accidental knock. So...many people who continuously and rapidly (almost frantically) knock knock knock knock knock and just keep knocking - are simply not allowing the delay timer to sequence the reset to activate and accept the knock-on function. So if you think knock on does not work well ---- try letting your phone "cool off" for about 3 seconds before trying the knock on feature. It is not sensitive ever increasing and harder jabs - it simply has a timer. Your phone is not ignoring you - the software is just cycling to avoid knocking on - in your purse, pocket, glove box, luggage etc etc etc... try it. Hope this explanation helps. :eek:

Reactions: sdrawkcab25
Upvote 0
Many people with the G2 say the knock on is buggy -

Thankfully that's not the case, I figure they can't knock on / off correctly, they just assume it should work and when it doesn't they assume it's buggy.
It has been perfect for me, and honestly I don't mind if I have to knock twice for one more time but overall it nearly always works on first try, sometimes 2nd try, and almost - never needed 3rd try. When I tried it , I don't think I had to wait 3 seconds between attempts. You don't have to actually knock either, when it works it works with a very slightest touch as well.

Upvote 0
When I knock ON the screen I have to be a little precise and use some extra force than when I knock it off.

You can also download an app that uses gravity and acceleration to lock your screen, I am going to try it out now.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plexnor.gravityscreenofffree

I tried this just now and seriously I am barely touching the phone twice in succession, it turns on. I touch so softly, the phone does not even move when it is on uneven surface. It's hard to describe.
I wonder if screen protectors make any difference.. I have Obliq Crystal screen protector, it seems to work fine without any obstruction. It does not work that well towards the sides of the phone, it works best when you do it towards bottom center, or just center in general.

Upvote 0
I tried this just now and seriously I am barely touching the phone twice in succession, it turns on. I touch so softly, the phone does not even move when it is on uneven surface. It's hard to describe.
I wonder if screen protectors make any difference.. I have Obliq Crystal screen protector, it seems to work fine without any obstruction. It does not work that well towards the sides of the phone, it works best when you do it towards bottom center, or just center in general.

I have a screen protector too and it works absolutely fine. Like you I only need the first try for it to work, rarely second. And yeah i've read online that the center is the best option.

Upvote 0
I'd say the only thing buggy about it is often you can tap and "long press" the screen and it'll turn on. Not a huge deal but sometimes when I pick up the phone and press it pretty hard with my thumb, it'll unlock.

This is the exact same problem i am having. It is so annoying. This is why i have Knock knock off. I hate it when it happens.

Upvote 0
Knock knock on and off over the past four days for me has been pretty solid. I also suspect possible user error... another poster indicates there is a timer before re-arming. That seems correct. The time between taps should be very short... I don't think you can be too quick with it, but you can be too long... Also, not all that much force is required. Double tap appears not restricted to approximate center of display. When the double tap not recognized, it's simple to try again.

Only real problem for me, my HP touchpad running CM doesn't have the feature. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones