1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[app[app question] using tin foil to increase FM Radio reception

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by tomatoxflames, May 10, 2012.

1. tomatoxflames

tomatoxflames Newbie
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    EMT
    Ok, theres an app called FM Radio, im sure most you have heard of it, if not used it before. What im wondering, and I know this sounds ridiculous but im seriously wondering if its true, is you know how you know how it uses the metal or whatever in your headphones cord to pick up an Fm signal?

Im wondering if you put tin foil on your head if that'll boost it and help you pick up weaker signals, like coast-to-coast or something... lol. Sterotypes aside, and not not looking like a mad man, does anybody think this could help? Id do it, but i dont want to walk around my place with a foil helmet proclaiming "Im trying to listen to my favorite song! Move, your blocking my signal!"

Advertisement

2. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    I think that the ridiculousness-to-signal-reception factor would be 100:1. You might get a very, very slight gain in reception (and even that is debatable), but you would look absolutely ridiculous.

3. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Growing up, our TV sets had antenae on top. One of the three channels that we could pick up never quite came in very clear. My dad had aluminum foil flags (I guess it was tiin foil back then) on the ends of the antenae. Of course the signal was always better, if someone was actually touching the antenae and also, of course, the signal was better based on your body position.

So make an aluminum foil cap, put it on your head, hold the headphone lead in one hand and stand on one foot. This combination should get you a wondeful signal.

BigRedGonzo

4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    It won't work, but do it anyway. Do a video and put it on YouTube. Should be worth a million hits.

5. tomatoxflames

tomatoxflames Newbie
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    EMT
    So it seems that it wouldnt be much of a gain, but might keep someone occupied for a few minutes.