• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[App] BattMonX (Droid X Battery State Monitor via LED Indicator)

scary, I have been using your app for few weeks on both my and my wifes DXs. I updated the app on mine last night, and now it blinks red while charging and green when fully charged, rather than just being solid color. I am just using it for the LED display function. I haven't changed any of the settings with the update. Any ideas? Thanks for providing this great app that does something that Motorola left out!

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
scary, I have been using your app for few weeks on both my and my wifes DXs. I updated the app on mine last night, and now it blinks red while charging and green when fully charged, rather than just being solid color. I am just using it for the LED display function. I haven't changed any of the settings with the update. Any ideas? Thanks for providing this great app that does something that Motorola left out!

JB,

Thank you for the kind words and feedback! :)

Hmmm... I wonder if is a saved preference conflict... Can you try to un-install and do a fresh / re-install (that will clear the saved preferences).

I must admit to having those issues in the past, but I thought I finally had a handle on all of them (took me a while to figure-out the preferences coding). I didn't really monkey with any of the settings from v2.6 to this new version, but something could certainly be out-of-sorts.

Let me know if that "fixes" things for you. If not, can you turn on logging in the "Experimental Settings" (check "Enable System Logging" and "Log Msgs to SD card"), let it run for a bit doing the weird stuff, and then send the /sdcard/battmonx-logfile.txt to scary.alien@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Reactions: JB in AZ
Upvote 0
Uninstalling, rebooting, re-installing seems to have fixed it. The LED now stays soild as expected. Thanks so much. Great support!

No problem, sir!

Happy to help (and happy for a somewhat easy problem...the issues I had to fix in this last version took me quite a while to overcome...glad that's over (knocking on wood ;))).

Still learning Android, but I'm getting there :).

Thanks again for everyone's support and feedback.

Upvote 0
Seems more stable-like. I liked the unstable iteration. It resembled my personality more. :)

Yeah, after all, I did model the app after you, Steven :D ;) :p.

Everyone should bear in mind that Android will occasionally stop the service, but I've had the auto-restart code in there from the very early verisons. I've communicated with at least one other dev that has confirmed his app's services gets randomly nuked by the little green guys inside our phones.

Its supposed to be that Android won't kill a "sticky" (i.e., "don't kill me" / "keep my alive") service except under very severe low-memory conditions.

I feel much better about this version (but I also felt that way about v2.6, lol), but I'm a little skittish after working on this for several hours each night for the last few weeks :eek:. I do think the problems I corrected were endemic to the app's structure from day one and were not introducted in v2.6, but just made folks more aware of the restarts that were actually going on.

The structure issues have been corrected ;).

Cheers and thanks again for everyone's support!

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
v2.8 is out!
What's in this version:
Version 2.8 - 13-Jun-2011:
minor fixes to better support Moto Droid phones recent GingerBread 2.3 update:
auto-recogize GB's different LED directory (w/o needing to manually locate files)
fix LED-always-on reboot issue for Moto Droid's running GingerBread
if you have problems or experience unusual issues coming from v2.7, please try an un-install and re-install

Thank you!

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
v2.8 is out!
What's in this version:
minor fixes to better support Moto Droid phones recent GingerBread 2.3 update:
auto-recogize GB's different LED directory (w/o needing to manually locate files)
fix LED-always-on reboot issue for Moto Droid's running GingerBread
if you have problems or experience unusual issues coming from v2.7, please try an un-install and re-install

Thank you!

mruno,

Thank you, sir!

Sorry this took so long...

They were relatively minor changes to get this working right with GingberBread (I've had to support two default LED notification directories for the Moto Droid-class phones, depending on 2.2 or 2.3). I've been testing for a while and it seems fine.

I'm putting the changes in the donate version right now...I'll have it published in just a little bit.

Cheers and thanks!

Upvote 0
All,

Version 2.9 of BattMonX has been uploaded to the Market. This version includes code to auto-recognize the 1% charge_counter file used on many Motorola phones. It also addresses the product-name changes that CyanogenMod ROMs impose that kept prior versions of this app from recognizing a Moto Droid family phone and auto-identifying their battery status and LED notification files.

Donate version of this app will be uploaded shortly.

Cheers and thanks for everyone's support and kind feedback.

RECENT CHANGES

Version 2.9 - 09-Jul-2011:

- improve auto-identification of charge_counter file (especially for Moto Droid X's running CM7;
this should also help other phones that support the charge_counter file)

- several minor updates and fixes

- minor fixes to better support Moto Droid phones recent GingerBread 2.3 update:

* auto-recogize GB's different LED directory (w/o needing to manually locate files)
* fix LED-always-on reboot issue for Moto Droid's running GingerBread
* if you have problems or experience unusual issues coming from v2.7, please try an un-install and re-install

Reactions: Steven58 and mruno
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones