• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [APP] Boot Manager 3.1.1 - Dual boot up to 4 additional ROMs from your SD card!

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i just saw this on xda. sounds pretty cool. i have not tried this yet. but you can have up to 4 roms running at once. its a paid app that is on the market.

[APP] Boot Manager 3.1.1 - Dual boot up to 4 additional ROMs from your SD card!

here is a great tutorial:
    http://init2winitapps.com/stories/BMManual.html

What's in this version:
    V3.1.1
    Fix for various force closes in nand restores and rom install's
    V3.1
    User selectable colors for everything
    Better navigation (press title for quick action)
    Added compatability for new twrp backups
    Now Compatible with memory tweak scripts(i.e. supercharger script and liquids default scripts)
    Fix for install process being killed by android
    Makes smaller boot.img(Option in settings to use old method with larger boot.img)
    Improved gapps checker
    See in app changelog for more details

Upvote 0
    Upvote 0
    I downloaded it the other day make sure you actually pay for the app. I downloaded a pirated version that didn't work. So far it works well I have Synergy God Mode and Mikg2.5 both with kernels installed I haven't figured out how to install gapps for cm rom and not a 100% about MIUI yet. From the looks of it the roms are flashed onto your sd card which makes it easy for access.

Upvote 0
    I downloaded it the other day make sure you actually pay for the app. I downloaded a pirated version that didn't work. So far it works well I have Synergy God Mode and Mikg2.5 both with kernels installed I haven't figured out how to install gapps for cm rom and not a 100% about MIUI yet. From the looks of it the roms are flashed onto your sd card which makes it easy for access.
    tsk tsk tsk.

Pirating android apps is unethical. But I'm sure you learned your lesson.

How do you like the app so far? Any surprises or anything like that? I know everyone always asks "Can I dualboot my phone?" and now it looks like you can!

Good find ocnbreeze!

---

Anyone have speculation as to how they do it? Does your phone boot into a specialized recovery session or something that asks you what setup to load (restoring nandroids and backing up when finished?). I've very curious about this, but also very cheap.

Upvote 0
    I would love to try this. I want to have cm7 to hook up my ps3 remote and a sense Rom like synergy for daily use. This will also come in handy since I'm a flashaholic. I can run and test different roms almost side by side to compare and contrast. Love the idea and hope the app works the way I want. Hopefully its like my computer. I'm running dual boot on it. Windows7 Ultimate and Ubuntu.

Upvote 0
    Well I have Plunged Deep into the Abyss. Before you decide to follow DO A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES TO YOU SYSTEM. EVEN WITH A BOOT MANAGER YOU NEED TO HAVE A FRESH NANDROID BACKUP.

You will need gapps. I did not have this so I ran into problems going from one rom to another. I had to nandroid restore to get the Bootmanager not to rerun the last requested ROM. (So basically I had to keep going back to the Phone Rom from nandroid) However Bootmanager did a decent job of loading different roms from the phone.

I had an issue with Mik3db1. I could not get this to load past my splash screen, I dont know if its the copy I have or the ROM I have downloaded a new and will try it later. CM7 worked great (no market couldnt install apps because i did not have gapps) It did take a few before it left the splash screen and started the cm7 bootanimation. So be paitent.

The big issue is a lack of gapps. I don't have it nor know how to get it. (I havent thoroughly searched either, Had I even Bothered to look on the ROMS/Kernals PAGE I WOULD HAVE SEEN IT. *lol*) Had to pull Battery on the Mik3db1.

The Great part is having a reliable daily while trying out the new with out having to worry about stuff not working for the everyday use. Great way to test out a ROM.

Overall I wish that they had an easier way to know if your version is a "Paid" app in another ROM with out the GAPPs. Also would like to see it be a bit more informative when installing a ROM. (The ROM is shown installing in the Notification area but not the program itself)

Still more playing left to do and to really check out all the settings.

I'll give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Edit: I actually see that MIK3db1 is not on the actual supported ROMS list.
    these are:
    ACS, Baked Snack, Cvcps, Cyanogenmod, Fresh, Joeykrim, MaxDamage, MIUI, Myn, omj, Salvage Mod, Savaged Zen, Sinister Tensai, t3hh4xx0r

I did do Vr GengerSense Revolution B4 and it worked great

Upvote 0
    you know i have it. but have not had the time to really sit down and play with it. i tried it briefly with no success. and you do need the gapps file to make it work for some reason. i need to spend more time with it to figure it out.

Yep got it yesterday and do have the gapps on my card. Tried to work with it a few times but no success either. Going to play around with it today and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks for the reply...

Upvote 0
    I'm going to wait till one of you guys who has it says it works.

I really believe that Boot Manager works with the AOSP Roms only. I have tried loading 5 or 6 Sense ROMs and all of them locked up or rebooted my phone.

I figured that I would try an AOSP ROM and it worked perfectly. I used the [URL="http://http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.phpt=1143049]CyanogenMod-7.1 for EVO :: (V7.1-RC1)[/URL] and it worked just fine with finishing and even asking me for the gapps file.

When I have tried any of the Sense ROMs it locks up my phone, will not complete, reboots, etc. I hope I am wrong, but at least on my phone, I can not get any of the Sense ROMs to work.

Will continue to test and see if I can get anything else to load on the app.

Upvote 0
    I have gotten bootmanager to work with some of the VR Roms Right now I have Synergy-RLS1-supersonic, CM7,vrkingdom b1 (phone Rom) and it seems to be working fine. None of the MikG roms have worked though. The Gapps thing sux it really should be included with the program if they want to Rely on it. If you don't have it then most of the time you will have to do a nandroid backup to get back to the phone ROM. You will have to wait for it to boot when not on the phone rom don't know if they can speed up the boot process or not. I think once they get some of the kinks and flaws worked out it will be a decent program however at the moment it doesn't support most of the Sense Roms out there it would seem. I have had luck with Virus Roms but no others.

I still think a 3.5 is good for this program right now

Upvote 0
    After running Boot Manager for a couple of days now, I am very impressed, at least with the current ROMs that are usable. I have installed 2 at the present time and both work just fine along with my current phoneROM, MikG - Sense 2.1 + 3.0 - V2.52.

I am using the [ROM][06/27/11] CyanogenMod-7.1 for EVO :: (V7.1-RC1) and the Evervolv (4G Working) and I believe that the Evervolv ROM runs much faster than the CM7, at least on Boot Manage.

One thing I like about the app is the ability to use Titanium Backup to restore your apps and once you have them installed, they will be there when you swap ROMs.

I am sure it takes up a lot of SD Space for this but should be getting my 32g card today in the mail :D. If you do plan on using this app, I would suggest at least a Class 6 rated card. Makes a big difference in the Lag on the app.

Here's a link to the known ROMs that are presently working on the 2.1 version that is available now.

Current ROMs Supported by Boot Manager 2.1

Will post more information after I get the bigger SD Card and see if I can get all 5 slots filled and running. Can't wait to get some Sense ROMs working.

Upvote 0
    Hi freeop and Friends:

I would like to say Thanks for your help and your support...My HTC Evo 4G has 2-ROMs and it's working fine with Boot Manager v2.1

TecMan
    HTC Evo 4G – Rooted
    PhoneROM: MikG-v2.52 with More-Freedom-v0.9-UNIVERSAL-signed Kernel
    ROM1: CyanogenMod v7.0.3.1-Supersonic with Tiamat_Evo-v4.0.8-sbc Kernel
    Android Version: 2.3.3
    Baseband version: 2.15.00.0808
    Radiation (w/kg): 1.03

Upvote 0
    The program isn't the easiest thing to start using. Definitely haft to do some homework on the app and some trail and error. I do think the developers are on to a wonderful program and I plan to support them as long as I can. I love a multi-boot system whether its a computer or now a phone ;). IF you have downloaded this program and have troubles please post them and we will try to help you the best way we can.

Make sure the ROMS you are trying are supported by the program.
    +1 +1 to freeop for this:
    Current ROMs Supported by Boot Manager 2.1

Check it often they will probably add more.

Upvote 0
    Hi argedion & freeop:

I would like to know your experiences with a ROM Sense 3.5 (non-beta version, prefer final version) and a ROM Sense 3.0 (like Evo 3d, non beta version, prefer final version) compatible with Boot Manager and you recommend me to my Evo with 2-ROMs...with this...it will have 3-ROMs...maybe 4-ROMs

Thanks in advanced for your help.

TecMan
    HTC Evo 4G – Rooted
    PhoneROM: MikG-v2.52 with More-Freedom-v0.9-UNIVERSAL-signed Kernel
    ROM1: CyanogenMod v7.0.3.1-Supersonic with Tiamat_Evo-v4.0.8-sbc Kernel
    Android Version: 2.3.3
    Baseband version: 2.15.00.0808
    Radiation (w/kg): 1.03

Upvote 0
    I purchased boot manager last week. After playing around with it and then contacting the Devs directly I was able to get it to work pretty well.
    I have 4 working ROMs on my phone now. Synergy RLS1 is my primary phone rom, I have Warm 2.2 with SBC netarchy kernel on slot 1, on Slot 2 I have BlazingRom-beta4 , then MikG2.55 on slot 4. They all work perfectly.

I use Synergy as a daily driver. I will never give it up!! I use Warm and the SBC kernel to charge the phone overnight, then flash Synergy when I get up and do my daily work. If I just want to screw around, I got the other 2 ROMs to play with.

So since there is no SBC kernel for my favorite, Synergy, I can at least sub up one to do the work now. I may also say, it is working very well. I get 30 hours easy on Synergy doing it this way. I barley could get 12 with just charging using Synergy.

Upvote 0
    I purchased boot manager last week. After playing around with it and then contacting the Devs directly I was able to get it to work pretty well.
    I have 4 working ROMs on my phone now. Synergy RLS1 is my primary phone rom, I have Warm 2.2 with SBC netarchy kernel on slot 1, on Slot 2 I have BlazingRom-beta4 , then MikG2.55 on slot 4. They all work perfectly.

I use Synergy as a daily driver. I will never give it up!! I use Warm and the SBC kernel to charge the phone overnight, then flash Synergy when I get up and do my daily work. If I just want to screw around, I got the other 2 ROMs to play with.

So since there is no SBC kernel for my favorite, Synergy, I can at least sub up one to do the work now. I may also say, it is working very well. I get 30 hours easy on Synergy doing it this way. I barley could get 12 with just charging using Synergy.

that is a very interesting idea. good thinking on that one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones