1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

App called Memory Booster-Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ptmarzullo, Apr 25, 2012.

1. ptmarzullo

ptmarzullo Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 16, 2011
    I have been using a program for about 7 months now call Memory Booster. I believe on some competing site/forums and by appbrain it was rated very high. Also some "expert", lol, web testimonials. I never really felt it did much. Supposedly is defragments your ram, etc...and keeps your phone running snappy. It also has a task killer, which I am now believing that is what it really is, just a task killer killing all task at say a half hour interval to boost ram, which is not good due to most to the apps if not all will just restart and 2.3.5 Gingerbread has a feature where if you have an idle app it will shut is down automatically. Below is the summary of the app. Please let me know your thoughts, if any and/or if anyone used it. I ask because yesterday I got an update and seems like since then, my battery on my ZTE Warp, I could litterly watch it discharge ??? I uninstalled the app and it seems, at the moment to have helped. Again just looking for some thoughts on this app and if anyone uses it and notices an actual difference.

As always, thanks for all your help in advance.:thinking:

Memory Booster is a powerful mobile memory & RAM boosting tool specially designed for Android smartphone users. It is designed to tackle the difficult yet crucial problem of memory management for all Android devices. Memory Booster reclaims lost memory for your programs by defragmenting your smartphone's memory and recovering memory leaks from poorly behaved applications.
    Features:
    * Real-time Memory Status Report & Monitor
    Memory Booster provides a live chart to demonstrate your device's total/free memory and current memory usage.
    * Setting Your Performance Target
    With Auto Boost Threshold set, Memory Booster keeps your memory higher than desired level, and act immediately if memory drops down.
    * One-click Quick Memory Boosting
    Besides automatic memory boosting, Memory Booster also allows you to manually boost your memory by Quick Boost.
    * Auto-boosting in the Background
    With Auto Boost Interval, Memory Booster runs in the background and automatically reclaims memory for your Android at interval.
    * Android system crash protection
    Memory Booster always watches your system resources and cleans up system memory once it reaches a critical point.
    * And there is more

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Memory isn't a crucial problem for any Android smartphone using OS 2.2 and better. RAM is meant to be used on Android. The more free RAM you have, the more is wasted. Also, this app is a task killer, and the more you use a task killer, the more your phone starts to use battery faster. Uninstall it. However, I must say that with 7mos usage of this, it may be too late for an uninstall to work. Android may have memorized the app usage pattern already, that only a format could work in restoring the Android memory to default state.

Crashdamage likes this.
  3. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Agreed. This app is doing nothing good. Uninstall.

4. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    I used it a few years ago, on my OG Droid. Like other task killers, you get the brief boost until your CPU has used up a bunch of juice to reopen all the apps that were just closed down. OP, you're better off avoiding this at this point as the memory management has gotten substantially better, and phones have more of it as well.

5. MasterCylinder

MasterCylinder Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 4, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Even though the info here is a year old now, I appreciate the community feedback on the topic of this thread, being new to smartphones with my Samsung Galaxy S3 w/ JB.

I also was looking into Memory Booster and the only unequivocally negative opinions I've found have been in this thread, and another thread 3 years old, after reading bloggers and reviewers and user reviews. I found one reviewer who said that it is a disputed topic, but went on to observe that these memory control apps are indeed proliferating. Another said he/she was unsure if the app worked but just described the "features." Otherwise, there is an overwhelming chorus of praise for these types of apps.

I notice that included in the OS of this phone there is a tool in Task Manager to manually clear memory, which seems to be the same thing that the Memory Booster can be set up to do frequently and automatically. Can it be so dangerous to the OS if it is in fact part of it, this memory clearing?

Hey, I'm a newby so just trying to get clear since there is an ocean of positive talk about these kinds of apps out there.

Thanks for any info.

6. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    This is not Windows. In Android/Linux unused RAM is wasted RAM. High RAM usage is normal and desirable.

DO NOT use any task killer or memory booster/optimizer. Not only are they totally unnecessary, they actually waste power and may disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Android is excellent at handling processes and memory with no help at all from 3rd-party apps or user assistance.

Just let Android do it's job, relax and enjoy your phone.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

The tool in the task manager clears cached apps. Task Killers kill running apps including those which may be crucial to the system causing a slow down, and an app restart cycle. This causes the phone to actually think that you are using the app frequently and reloads the app more often, instead of it realizing that you don't use the app and thus reloading other apps more often used. That said, just uninstall a task killer.

8. MasterCylinder

None

Apr 4, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the info. There sure are a lot of people running around out there with bad info it seems. I uninstalled my version, $1.99 lighter.

I have to admit that I had installed Kingsoft Office this morning and found it running very slowly on a Msoft Word doc I copied over. I then went to my apps page and found that paging through hung things up awhile before they would fill the page. First time I had seen this. I used the Task Manager's Clear Memory function. Later when I used these again all seemed well.

I also am using Battery Booster, which has a built in auto Task Killer function (the OS has a Task Killer function built into it as well.) I am not using that feature. I only installed that app to have the ability to auto kill the network when the screen is locked.

Does this sound reasonable?

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Try Battery Defender or Juice Defender instead for turning off network.

MasterCylinder likes this.
  10. MasterCylinder

None

Apr 4, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Okay, thanks for the info! Are they preferable to Battery Booster?

I see Juice Defender has a myriad of ways to customize, perhaps similar to Smart Actions on Motorola, but you have to pay to get even WiFi control if I'm not mistaken after installing it and trying to configure that.