1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[App] CloudBench - Benchmarking the cloud vs. local function execution

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by CloudBenchApp, May 5, 2012.

1. CloudBenchApp

CloudBenchApp Lurker
    None

May 5, 2012
    Hi!

As my Master's thesis I wanted to explore if it is faster to offload some functions of a mobile phone application by using the cloud. Therefore I developed an app, my first real app ever :), that executes three tests locally on the phone and then by offloading them to Google App Engine.

The tests are:
    - Calculating prime numbers between 1-10000
    - Sort a list of 1500 random words
    - Rotate and change the size of a picture

Every test are timed and in addition the app gathers information about upload/download ration, phone model, Android version, type of network connection, eventual error messages and gives the phone a unique ID in case the test is ran more then once. There is no gathering of any personal information about the phone's owner or anything like that.

So far about 13 persons have used the app but I would need more and I hope you guys can help me out in gathering results for the thesis. The app and the source code can be found at CloudBench Android App - An Android application that benchmark local versus cloud executed functions
    Minimum SDK version is 4.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advertisement

2. CloudBenchApp

CloudBenchApp Lurker
    None

May 5, 2012
    Please help me out and also contribute to science *:)* Soo far 24 different devices have ran the test, 13 different phone models has been used including:
    Galaxy Nexus, GT-I8150, GT-I9000, GT-I9001, GT-I9100, GT540, HTC Desire, HTC Incredible S, HTC One X, HTC Sensation Z710e, LG-P350, Nexus S 4G and ZTE Blade.*

I'm aiming at around 30 devices to run the app which will constitute my thesis result. Older Android devices are especially interesting for a wider device scope.*I know the app doesn't look to fun but it would help me out a lot.

3. ashMajeed

ashMajeed Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2015
    I am working on my thesis.After suffering alot finally i got your thesis which was for me a brilliant work.I need your help if you would assist me in this regard using SVM for making prediction if it is feasible to offload or not .Waiting for a positive response .thanx