1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[APP][CUSTOM ROMS ONLY] OpenOTA for Custom Android ROMS

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by sandix, Oct 28, 2014.

1. sandix

sandix Android Enthusiast

I just posted OpenOTA to GitHub today for anyone who would like to download partial source code (Full source will be in the GitHub after Prototype is finished.)

About OpenOTA

OpenOTA is a project I started on 10/27/2014 that will hopefully change how users get OTA Updates. OOTA allows a developer to "Self-Host" their ROM's updates and also allow users to get them, over the air. A neat feature of OOTA is that the ROM Update does not need to be hosted on a web server you own, you can use d-h.st, mediafire, 4shared, or whatever hosting provider you like , it doesn't matter where!

Here is how it works: The user's ROM, on boot, will check for an update, if there is one, the user will be prompted to download. The prompt is once per boot, and once per OOTA app launch. When the user chooses to download, it will open the users browser to the download the update.

Why did I do this you might ask? To keep the apk file as small as possible.
    Why integrate the download when we can just use the web browser that is built in?
    This also allows developers with limited bandwidth use other hosting providers.

I hope some developers find this app very useful as I made it to be open to everyone!

Please let me know what you guys think, give me ideas, tell me where I can improve. [​IMG]

I currently use it in my Custom ROM AdvancedStock7 for the LG Optimus F3 from Virgin Mobile but the app itself is compatible with android 4.0+

Links:
    AdvancedStock7 for LG Optimus F3: http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...-advancedstock7-10-27-2014-a.html#post6757894
    My Website: Prototype for OpenOTA Released - URGERO.ORG
    GitHub Page: https://github.com/mitchellurgero/OpenOTA

DevoutDev likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Thread moved to the ROM Development sub so ROM devs can take advantage. :thumbup:

3. sandix

sandix Android Enthusiast

Thanks! I hope everyone can enjoy this!