1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

App Data Backup

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    I am relatively paranoid and don't trust too many third party apps...so Helium is not an option. I also do not root.

From what I have seen the only way to backup app data other than root or Helium is to *HOPE* the developer incorporates specific backup APIs into their app. At least iTunes would brute force this backup (it doesn't have to be cloud for me, I am perfectly fine with manual backups). How can an OS as mature as Android not have even this most basic of features.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    If you are really asking how can Android not have any particular feature you should be addressing the question to Google, not us. We're just a forum for Android users.

If you look in your Settings there should be an option to back up app data to Google's servers (on my HTC running 4.4.3 it's in Settings > Backup & Reset). Now I don't use this because I do root and prefer to manage my own backups, so I can't testify to how well it works, but it is there. Google's background is the web, so it's in their culture to do this stuff to the cloud rather than "siloing" to a computer as Apple do.

If you want another solution, you could look at ADB (Android Debug Bridge). One of the commands that supports is "adb backup", which should let you back up your apps and data to a computer over USB. Needs USB debugging enabled (ADB is what USB debugging is for), but doesn't need root.

Some of our members have a thread describing non-root backup solutions here: http://androidforums.com/faqs/697582-backup-routine-us-all.html

Ironically I'd personally trust Helium more than I trust Google - Koush is an individual with a known track record in Android, while Google are a corporation. But each to their own ;)

3. SelenaLee

SelenaLee On Probation
    None

Oct 13, 2014
    Female
    Just like Hadron said, you can go to Settings > Backup & Reset to backup app data to your Google account.

Or, you can use some third-party tool to backup app data to computer, like Wondershare MobileGo for Android. It's powerful and easy-to-use. You don't need to root your Android phone. Just connect your Android phone to computer with a USB cable or WiFi. Then, in the primary window, click One-Click Backup to backup app and app data to computer.