• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App data lost after updates

brotherbain

Lurker
Nov 10, 2018
Reposted here from the lounge where I, in my noobiness, accidentally posted it:

1.) Model Number HTC One M8 (but you knew that)
2.) Firmware Version Android 6.0 (? I'm not seeing anything labeled firmware version, though the folder description claims it's in here)
3.) Baseband Version 4.0.u605761
4.) Kernel Version 3.4.0-perf-g8148707
5.) Build Number 6.20.502.5

I've had this device for a while and so far it's been fine. In the last couple weeks there have been two updates to the device that have caused Google Play Services, gmail, and the Play Store to stop working. After clearing their app data, the phone becomes stable again. However all of my apps with the exception of those that are just the mobile view of a web service lose their data.

It's incredibly frustrating to just lose years' worth of data, passwords, etc. because of some random update. I think it's HTC sense, but I can't confirm 100% that it's responsible. Has anyone else run into this? I love my device but I can't have it doing this from time to time whenever some system update is released. Just not cool.

@Shotgun84 to be more specific I'm signed out of everything but google, which is not too big of a problem, but more importantly any app that doesn't have a web service attached (Loop habit tracker, for example, or games that store locally) all are completely reset as if I had uninstalled and reinstalled them.

@Hadron the update seems to have been HTC sense, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Could be the flavor of Android I have loaded (AT&T). My UI has changed slightly, most notably the button to the right of home, which used to show all my open apps cascading but now shows them in a table view.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones