1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps App Design: in-app physical goods purchase

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by boby2, Apr 30, 2012.

1. boby2

boby2 Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    Good Evening Everybody,

So I am thinking about designing an android App for a small business. The app needs to serve two functions:

1) Integrate with the website
    -->The website is flash based (I know such a pain)
    2) Allow users to buy items(physical goods)
    -->Goods are static, meaning that the types of items will not be decreasing or increasing over time.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to achieve function #1 without having to redo the entire website as an Android app?
    -->If so, are there any particular technologies that allow such migration?

2) For function #2, is this possible at all?
    -->If not possible, how does Zappos or Office Depot do it?
    -->If possible, what technologies/payment processing frameworks are available?

The reasons behind question #2 are that I've been reading about Google's enforcement of their in-app billing system but it says it is only for virtual items, and that every app must use this system, which rules out the paypal payment processing option.

Advertisement

2. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Male
    1) Is it possible? Yes. Should you do it that way? No. When working with mobile, it is almost always (and by almost I mean 99.9999% of the time) it is advisable to make a native app for the website and not a an app that simply opens a web page. If a mobile friendly version of your website is what you really, really want, then I recommend you just make a mobile version of the website and use it instead of the desktop version when it is accessed from a mobile device.

2) Yes, you can do this. There are various APIs out there that allow the developer to integrate a storefront into their app.