• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps App Design

D

Deleted User

Hey all,
I want to learn how to make an app, from scratch so i know it has no hidden adds or stuff that's not needed.

Does anyone know what software i would need for this? or have any links to good websites that have tips and stuff ?

May sound silly but i don't suppose it's as easy to do is making a website with Front Page Express? ;)

If you’re designing an app for Android, I suggest browsing through this amazing page developed by android developer community. The page explains how an app should be designed and elements it should integrate.
Also, there’s no point reinventing the wheel again and again. Hence, Google put everything required for developing an app (stencils, sources, color swatches, and icon packs) in public domain. There’s no restriction in using the controls, features and packs. These readily available packs offered under Android developer program not only save time and effort, but also provide a consistent interface across apps. Download Design Pack + check out links below
How Much Does it Cost to Design an App? and How to Become a Programmer: 8 Steps to Building an App from Scratch

Reactions: Loopback
Upvote 0
I suggest picking up some design along with development skills. It pays to be both a designer and developer. You don't have to be an expert at Photoshop and Illustrator, but knowing how to use those tools for basic shapes and text will go along way to give your app that custom feel, which can make it stand out from the crowd. Also, Java is a must.

Upvote 0
On my personal opinion knowledge of core concepts of Java is of much importance for building good and quality Android Apps.
To start of with Java you can start up with two good books:
Java The Complete Reference, 8th Edition Book(9th edition is also available)
Kathy Sierra, Bert Bates: Head First Java
Complete Reference is a big book, you can just go for the Part I for the knowledge required to start off.
Part II of the book is also pretty much important for full-fledged development(Ch-15 to Ch-18)
Once, you are through with Java,you can start of with Android Development.
The newboston android series. It's an awesome series for beginners.
Android App Development for Beginners Playlist
Android Studio is the official IDE for Android App Development and it's pretty good to use. So, will refer to use that for the development.
For books you can refer to:
Beginning Android 4 Application Development Book - Wiley Publication
Head First Android Development Book

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones