• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App - Disclaimer / Warning

I have a question for you all.

What is up with the popup that appears on certain free and paid apps at says: Attention - this service may be able to collect all of the texts you have typed, including personal data, credit card number except passwords. It may also log you user interface interactions. It comes from the application name (name of the app).

My point being is there really any concern over this?

What do most of you do?

is there really any concern over this?

That depends on the app and its functionality.

For example, I get a similar warning whenever I enable a third-party keyboard. It's reminding me that, because it accepts slide/swipe input, voice and handwriting recognition and learns my habits, it may save sensitive information inadvertantly. It's an unavoidable byproduct of the functionality, but some people may not realise how it works its magic, hence the warning.

The best advice is check the app permissions listed in the Market against what an app says it does, and if you have any concerns ask here - someone is sure to know. There's also an incredibly useful app written by one of our members, alostpacket, which puts detailed info about app permissions right where you need it - on your handset. See the PocketPermissions thread for more details.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones