• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root App download failure

benwalburn

Android Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2011
I am using Velocity 1.1 and I have noticed that often, my apps will complete the download, then while installing, restart the download, in a continuous loop until some random amount of downloads have been completed and it finally installs.

Now however, several apps I try and download will not install. I tried updating Tank Hero and it's "installing" for the ninth time now.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried wiping my phone and re-flashing Velocity 1.1, but it doesn't do any good.

Reactions: guitarzero
I am using Velocity 1.1 and I have noticed that often, my apps will complete the download, then while installing, restart the download, in a continuous loop until some random amount of downloads have been completed and it finally installs.

Now however, several apps I try and download will not install. I tried updating Tank Hero and it's "installing" for the ninth time now.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried wiping my phone and re-flashing Velocity 1.1, but it doesn't do any good.

Error code -18?

Upvote 0
I know the problem you're talking about, dude.

There is no notification that says install unsuccessful, sometimes it doesn't even start downloading. You'll click it, it'll say download starting, then you go back to the app page to see progress, and it will act like you never even tried to download. Same for both new apps and updates. Even if you don't go back to the app page, it won't download on occasion.

Then, you'll look in the notification bar, and it'll say 3 or 4 downloads, but it's all the same app. That only happens when it actually starts the download. Then, after it finally downloads, the phone acts like nothing weird happened.

I had this problem back with Velocity 1.0, and I've actually been experiencing it less on 1.1. I don't know what the problem is, but you get no error code at all.

Upvote 0
toggle dev link cache back to data using velocity scripts worked for me

Let me start out by reiterating what it seems like I have said a thousand times. The ally is not a powerful/spacious phone. You don't get much space, you are lucky you can install as many apps as you can at this point.

The reason this is happening? The Market downloads all new apps to cache before it installs them. So, if your cache is full up with dalvik entries from having a lot of apps (or a few large ones) you will NOT have enough room to download apps from the market (and probably wouldn't have enough room to install them anyway)

Possible easy fixes:
You already downloaded a bunch of application from the Market (or tried to) and it left a lot of temporary APK files in cache, you can clear these our with my script, by clearing download cache (or the toolkit for that matter) as this will clear out all the temporary market downloads.
Move your dalvik cache off of cache, and back onto data, this will give you more room on cache if you need it, but will leave you with less room on data to install applications

I have been looking into a way to have the market use another place to save its temporary downloads (like the sdcard) but so far I cant find anything and it probably requires modifying the Vending apk, which doesnt play nice. So may not be able to work, unless I can trick it with symlinks... So dont hold your breath

Honestly I don't know what you kids expect out of this phone. If you go around installing huge applications like netflix and games, and tons of 3rd party widgets and replacements. YOU WILL RUN OUT OF ROOM. I see so many posts where you guys are having issues directly related to installing too much **** on your phones. Now if you are simply stricken by the Market not clearing out its old apks (this happens) ignore my rantings -- But for the rest of you, who simply load up your phones and wonder why they run slow and have problems remember this:
With the enhancements we have made to this phone you can install about TWICE as many applications as you can on stock. Why isn't this enough, at what point will the "need" to put more **** on your phone subside and when will you be content. Realize the limitations of your device and stop being surprised when you run into spacial issues on the device.

Reactions: lonewulf
Upvote 0
I was not aware that space was an issue, I don't even have very many apps installed, because I know the Ally lacks memory. I had no idea that just a few simple apps would make such a significant difference to the phone.

I'm not trying to be a pain. When I have a problem, I want to fix it. When I cannot fix it, I ask for help. If nothing can be done, then just tell me and I will be silent without a single complaint.

Upvote 0
I occasionally get a download that won't start. I've found that if I wait a while, it's usually successful when I try again later. I don't know if it's a Velocity issue or an Android Market issue.

I was not aware that space was an issue, I don't even have very many apps installed, because I know the Ally lacks memory. I had no idea that just a few simple apps would make such a significant difference to the phone..

The problem arises when those apps take up a big chunk of memory. Tank Hero is 9meg. Angry Birds is 17meg. It doesn't take many of those types of apps to max out the usable memory of the Ally. Even when using Apps2SD it only moves part of the app to the SD card.

Following savoxis' advice in clearing the download cache is a good first step.

In general, being conservative in both the number and size of apps is the best bet. When you upgrade to the Thunderbolt or Bionic, you can go app crazy.

Kyle

Reactions: savoxis
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones