1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

App for backing up contacts only?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by OakIris, Nov 8, 2013.

1. OakIris

OakIris Member

Is there a recommended app for backing up and restoring contacts only?

I know that if you use Gmail and sync your contacts all should be good, but sometimes Google has.....problems. (Or maybe I am just paranoid? :p ) I have a couple of back up apps, My Backup Pro and Titanium (free version) but have not been able to find a way in either program to restore the contacts database only - seems that you can restore all data or all apps, but can't just restore contacts.

It isn't as if I have all that many contacts, and I certainly can "fat finger" them back in if I need to, but an app would be much easier!

Holly

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

Generally speaking, you need to have something you can sync them with. I have an aging version of Outlook on my laptop and I use AndroidSync to keep my contacts (and calendar) sync'd.

It may be that some of the 'free' office clones have some sort of Contact manager that you could sync with - I won't suggest the Google one for obvious reasons :D

3. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

4. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

I do the same. I use Outlook as my "master" copy, backed up from my PC, and use MyPhoneExplorer to sync with my phone. So I don't really care if my phone gets wiped or lost that way. MPE also syncs with Thunderbird.

Dave

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

You can go to your contacts on Gmail and export all into a vCard for backing up - you can do the same for contacts stored on your phone via many contacts apps.

MyBackup Root will backup all contacts but if you restore them they go to phone storage.

A vCard file can be imported into your web or local contacts.

6. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

You should be able to export them to your SD card directly from the contacts app.

7. PaulS

PaulS Android Enthusiast

"Mobile Backup II" which I use can do this.It backs up 4 things of choice.
    Calender
    Contacts
    SMS
    Call log
    and you can choose them individually to save and restore.I know this is a little more than the OP wanted but it's a,"Must Have" app for me as I use my Calender a lot.

I have a,"Rooted" phone so freeze apps like this with Link2SD until I need them as I only use them sporadically.

HTH :)

MasterCylinder likes this.
  8. OakIris

OakIris Member

Thank you all for your responses. It would appear that most people just sync all of their contacts, etc., via their main email program (gmail, Outlook,) and I agree that that is the simplest way of doing things. I do have a gmail account and it is set up to sync contacts, but I think I will look into Mobile Backup II as well. :)

Holly

9. glassmancheck

glassmancheck Member

MyBackup Pro does this. From the new backup menu, choose data, then choose local, then a menu appears that let you check contacts only. It works quite well. If you do need to restore later, it is a slow process. A large database may take an hour or so. I have done it several times.

OakIris, Hadron and EarlyMon like this.
  10. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Was just going to say the same.

Titanium Pro can restore a single item, e.g. Contacts Storage (the ROM-specific contacts backup) rather than a batch restore of everything - just select that one item from the list and restore it. Likewise you can back up a single app/item in the same way.

And of course the simplest way of backing up is to "export" them to sd from the contacts app.

OakIris likes this.
  11. OakIris

OakIris Member

DOH! I guess I should have more thoroughly explored the backup apps I already had since they both allow you to backup contacts (and individual apps) separately. Thank you for that information, glassmancheck and Hadron for that information. Hopefully next time I will do a little bit more research before posting a question here! :eek:

Sounds like an interesting program, Queena, but.... It free to download from Google Play, but all you get is a free trial - after the free trial period, you have to pay almost $40 - $39.95. :eek: I don't have that sort of money to spare, so I will stick with the programs I already have - The version of Titanium Backup I have is free (there is a pro version; it costs $6.85) and My Backup Pro cost me $4.99. :)

Holly

12. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Sorry about that backup spam, I made it go away. :eek:

PS - yeah - Slug did the actual work. :D