1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

App for Call and SMS usage

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by AbhiJan, Jul 12, 2011.

1. AbhiJan

AbhiJan Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    Hi all,

I am totally new to using android and its apps. Bought this Desire S recently and was trying to ensure that i dont go overboard in using it so searched for some apps to keep track of Net Usage and Call usage.

For Net usage, i installed 3G watchdog but i am not able to do any settings for it. Can someone help.

For call usage, i installed DroidStats but i am not sure how is this calculating. I mean if i make a call for 1 minute 2 seconds and another one for 58 seconds, what will be total shown on this app. Will it be 3 minutes as charged by my provider or will it be 2 minutes (total number of seconds)

Can someone suggest any other app which is better?

TIA
    A

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    What do you mean you "can't do any settings"? What settings do you want?

A very, very easy way to find this out, call your carrier. That way it will be completely accurate to what they are charging you for. Most carriers have MULTIPLE ways of doing this. For example, with sprint, I can call *2, *3, *4, text something to them, look on their website, use the Sprint Zone app, etc.

3. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    I use call meter ng. It will give you the call time (incoming and outgoing) in hours, minutes and seconds. However if your carrier rounds then it's not going to match what is being deducted from your plan. So as mentioned above to keep an accurate count its best to check with the carrier.

Call meter ng will also keep track of total sms and data usage.

4. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    On Verizon, My Verizon Mobile is fantastic! But you have to be signed up for My Verizon in order to use it.

5. AbhiJan

AbhiJan Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    Thanks all.

DroidStats: I want to set it up so that I can define the limits of the plan. (Where can i do the settings for this app? )

About the call usage: I know that my subscriber rounds up the calls to higher minutes. So even if the call is for 1minute and 2 seconds, it will be counted as 2 minutes. But my real questions is, are there any apps to handle this?

6. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    How does the app know when your carrier's billing cycles change? How does the app know if your carrier rounds up? How does the carrier know if the 10 minute call you just made counts as free in-network, free mobile-to-mobile, part of your calling circle etc? A useful usage app isn't quite as simple as it's made out to be. You're better served, IMO, by checking your usage with your carrier. If your carrier has an app that provides this info then use your carrier's app.

7. titank

titank Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2012
    Yes I'm also trying to find call time usage in which can track up to per second. Anyone know of any applications?