• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App for playing backing tracks live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I am a new user to both android & threads......hence I wrote a 'quick reply' and it's disappeared:thinking:
I have a Versus touchtab 7 dual core and was sent to google on my pc via Eva's link to download the backtrack app....... what is a 'white shopping bag', as google said I needed it and had not used 'my device' via google. This is quite true as I thought that I would USB the tablet to download the app, but it seems that googles listing does not have my tablet on it..... does that mean I can't access Eva's app, or am I missing something.
I have not set the tablet up to go online as I only want to store & play music that I have created on it....(using Eva's auto pause function) as I thought wifi may corrupt the tablet.
Am I completely off track (xcuse the pun), or if not listed and not online am I completely done for???
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Upvote 0
Hello all, just an update......firstly eva lan is a genius, the app is simple and effective, no bells & whistles...Thank you eva lan.

secondly just in case anyone else has the same problem, I had to register the tablet with gmail account to be able to download the hotcakes app created by eva lan.

I then put in the link on the browser in the tablet which was connected to wifi and was able to install the product. I loaded my backing tracks folders from walkman software on my PC to the tablet by connecting with USB cable then going into 'my computer' on the pc and opening the android device, there were folders such as movies, pictures etc.....copied files/BT over (you can do it singularly or create files , which will be displayed separately i.e. slow tracks, latin tracks etc).....then you are up and running thanks to eva lan.

again THANK YOU.x

Upvote 0
Hello all, just an update......firstly eva lan is a genius, the app is simple and effective, no bells & whistles...Thank you eva lan.

secondly just in case anyone else has the same problem, I had to register the tablet with gmail account to be able to download the hotcakes app created by eva lan.

I then put in the link on the browser in the tablet which was connected to wifi and was able to install the product. I loaded my backing tracks folders from walkman software on my PC to the tablet by connecting with USB cable then going into 'my computer' on the pc and opening the android device, there were folders such as movies, pictures etc.....copied files/BT over (you can do it singularly or create files , which will be displayed separately i.e. slow tracks, latin tracks etc).....then you are up and running thanks to eva lan.

again THANK YOU.x

Upvote 0
I use rocket player it s free and has everything you need to gig , i run it on a nexus 7, mp3 files and it fantastic , however Im gig with another guy and hes got a midi track player and we alternate singing he plays one i do then, but have noticed sometimes the sound quality of the midi file are more realistic, fuller , its hard to explain , has anyone ever noticed , I have now start to convert the midi piles to mp3 but havent tested them yet , is it down to sound module in the different devices, but id defo try rocket player in the google store

Upvote 0
Hi Brentkev,
Does Rocket Player stop at the end of each selected track?
All the apps (other than Backing Track player) just seen to flow from one track to the next seamlessly.
Admittedly this is what most listeners want, but not session singers!

What I need is to:-
1) Select a track (and the app indicate it IS ready to go)
2) Start to play when I hit go!
3) Stop at the end of the track.

No graphic equalisers, no bells, no whistles, no fancy visual effects, just the most simple boring backing track player that is totally under the singer's control.
Not much to ask but it seems a totally neglected niche market?
Is there another app equivalent to Backing Track Player out there somewhere?
(that works)......

Thanks in anticipation
Dave

Upvote 0
Hi Brentkev,
Great.... I have nearly got it working as I want.
Bit complicated for my needs and many buttons to accidentally press when at the gig..LOL
I have it now playing the songs in the right order and stopping after each track, which is 9/10ths of my needs.
However did you say it is possible to select the next track to play (and it highlights it to make sure I chose the right one) but not actually start until I press GO? Rather than start playing as soon as I highlight it? (which would be embarrassing if I accidentally hit the wrong one)
I can't seem to understand how to make it do this.
Looking good... many thanks for pointing Rocket Player out.
Dave

Upvote 0
If you create a playlist it will que the songs up and have it ready and won't plaY until you hit play or you can back space back to the song section which you will have all your songs loaded then highlight and it will qienit to play I think there is a actual que function play around with it, its the best I could find and free I might upgrade. What do you think of the audio quality

Upvote 0
Hi Brentkev,
Ah I haven't tried creating a playlist, I just let the app discover the folder where my tracks are. I will have to work out how to do this as Rocket player added into my set of tracks all the Samsung provided music ans sounds!
I got round this by forcing all the unwanted tracks to the end of the list by numbering the tracks I wanted. So Playlist is my next target.
I haven't had time to check the audio quality as my amplified loudspeaker is with the singing group (they have a gig today and I can't make it). Will report back.
Thanks for your help.
Dave

Upvote 0
After reading through this thread I thought some of you guys may be interested in an app I have
developed called 'Songer'.
As a performer and part time computer geek I also struggled to find something that would do the job so
I came up with this.
If you follow the link to google play you will find a Demo version and a Pro Version, the demo is fully functional
except it will only load 10 tracks into the master songlist.
Please have a look and let me know your thoughts.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.boogieman.songerdemo&hl=en

Regards,
Boogieman

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Hi everyone,
I just posted this request in another section by mistake so now I think I have found the right place.

I am a guitarist/vocalist who plays mostly solo and duo and I (like many thousands like me around the world) have the need for backing tracks as our accompaniment. Most of us use lap tops, net books, mini disc players and iPods and now droid devices. With the arrival of the Android Tablet, many musicians like myself are moving across to this media.

I am just a simple musician who has no clue where to even begin to write such an app, but I do foresee and huge need in the market for an app like this. Because of Droid Tablet technology I am expecting a huge swing to this type of device for musicians using backing tracks and possibly a nice little earner for the person who gets in on the ground level with it....That
Where can I find this player?

Upvote 0
Hi – I am not a forum contributor, but noticed many of you are searching for the solution I found some time ago.
This is a WORKAROUND using basic ANDROID software UNALTERED

Although it is basic it is a solution that is:-

Very Effective – you can play a single track at a time in a pre-set order

Very Reliable – if you follow the warnings below

Costs you nothing – unless you have dedicated software, see notes below

Requires NO jail-breaking, programming or scripts. This simply puts FILE MANAGER to an alternative use.

WORKAROUND – How to use the basic FILE MANAGER a basic ANDROID device as a backing track player.

First off DO NOT USE THE STANDARD MUSIC APP. As you have noticed this most are frustratingly limited to continuously playing through playlists.

Open FILE MANAGER – this may appear with different labels, but you are looking for the simple FILE BROWSER tool used to explore your device and find your folders, documents and files.

Then locate the MUSIC folder

TAP your chosen FILE, presumably MP3 but this works perfectly from WAV also.

The browser by default will play this as audio.

However since it is the simple file manager and not a music APP, it can’t do ANYTHING else.

You should see a pause button and a progress bar that you could advance/reverse, but that is it. Experiment for a while to become used to what this can do and also what this is not capable of.

DEFAULT PLAYER TAKES OVER

Android has a very basic MP3 launcher built-in to allow you to "audition" files in the manor described above, however a small number of devices have pre-loaded apps that will conflict with this.

If any other APPS start up and use their default controls or features, go to SETTINGS

Find which APP has started up

Look towards the foot of the options available and untick DEFAULT so that you stop that APP from being the default player used for your AUDIO files. Now try the above previous steps again

NOT QUITE FINISHED YET….some basic housekeeping

First you will note that if you touch the screen outside the PLAY bar, the track will stop playing. Become familiar with this, then this becomes your own quick STOP if you choose to use it that way.

TURN OFF the AUTO-LOCK and automatic SCREEN DIM functions or by the time track one has finished you’ll be fumbling about in the dark to unlock the thing again.

Struggling to see in the dark - Use the standard ACCESSIBILITY functions to change the font size, background and contrast to suit your needs - on most but not all devices this is found under SETTINGS/SYSTEM/ACCESSIBILITY

VOLUME - If you know how to NORMALISE, then do this to all your material and then PRE-SET your volume. You will find out why, when you try changing this on the fly - which is not usually simple.

PARACHUTE - Place Icons for FILE MANAGER/BROWSER on the home screen so you can find this in a hurry, if you tap the wrong thing. Most devices also have a QUICK ACCESS menu to present three or four APPS on all screens. Place an ICON here so you will never be lost for long.

HOW TO MAKE A VIRTUAL “PLAYLIST”

File manager doesn’t recognise musci playlists obviously because it is just a simple file browser and not an AUDIO player.

However you can make it follow your playlist if you can accept the results being a little basic using the following steps:-

FILE MANAGER will present files in any folder using a logical order including:-

Numerical

Alphabetical

By type

SOLUTION – Label the tracks using a logical format that FILE MANAGER recognises and can SORT.

Example - if you want your first track to appear at the top of the list in the music folder you simply RENAME the track adding 01 before the existing file name.

FILE MANAGER will show this first.

You can achieve the same using an alphabetical listing.

Once you get the idea of how this is all achieved you can customise these very basic controls and steps to achieve a highly effective result although one with very limited functions.
You will probably find it is best to save actual copies of the tracks you will use into groups held in specific folders that reflect the show you intend to play.

ADVICE – Turn off everything else

Please bear in mind, that if you are going to try this, you are using a FILE MANAGER not an AUDIO tool. It therefore has no pre-configured settings that are designed to work the way that you intend.

Most recent ANDROID devices have a huge number of systems and processes that are active, before we even start talking about your APPS and personal settings.

Best way is to get an old phone and strip out all of the APPS.

FORCE STOP then DISABLE anything and EVERYTHING that you do not require.

Ensure you are in AIRPLANE mode.

If you do not heed this advice, everything will work perfectly, for days, weeks even months, until one day without warning an active APP will activate something that interrupts your performance.

I hope this is of use to some of you and if not you’ll be glad to note I won’t be interrupting your otherwise excellent forum any more.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0
Hi – I am not a forum contributor, but noticed many of you are searching for the solution I found some time ago.

This is a WORKAROUND using basic ANDROID software UNALTERED

Although it is basic it is a solution that is:-

Very Effective – you can play a single track at a time in a pre-set order

Very Reliable – if you follow the warnings below

Costs you nothing – unless you have dedicated software, see notes below

Requires NO jail-breaking, programming or scripts. This simply puts FILE MANAGER to an alternative use.

WORKAROUND – How to use the basic FILE MANAGER a basic ANDROID device as a backing track player.

First off DO NOT USE THE STANDARD MUSIC APP. As you have noticed this most are frustratingly limited to continuously playing through playlists.

Open FILE MANAGER – this may appear with different labels, but you are looking for the simple FILE BROWSER tool used to explore your device and find your folders, documents and files.

Then locate the MUSIC folder

TAP your chosen FILE, presumably MP3 but this works perfectly from WAV also.

The browser by default will play this as audio.

However since it is the simple file manager and not a music APP, it can’t do ANYTHING else.

You should see a pause button and a progress bar that you could advance/reverse, but that is it. Experiment for a while to become used to what this can do and also what this is not capable of.

DEFAULT PLAYER TAKES OVER

Android has a very basic MP3 launcher built-in to allow you to "audition" files in the manor described above, however a small number of devices have pre-loaded apps that will conflict with this.

If any other APPS start up and use their default controls or features, go to SETTINGS

Find which APP has started up

Look towards the foot of the options available and untick DEFAULT so that you stop that APP from being the default player used for your AUDIO files. Now try the above previous steps again

NOT QUITE FINISHED YET….some basic housekeeping

First you will note that if you touch the screen outside the PLAY bar, the track will stop playing. Become familiar with this, then this becomes your own quick STOP if you choose to use it that way.

TURN OFF the AUTO-LOCK and automatic SCREEN DIM functions or by the time track one has finished you’ll be fumbling about in the dark to unlock the thing again.

Struggling to see in the dark - Use the standard ACCESSIBILITY functions to change the font size, background and contrast to suit your needs - on most but not all devices this is found under SETTINGS/SYSTEM/ACCESSIBILITY

VOLUME - If you know how to NORMALISE, then do this to all your material and then PRE-SET your volume. You will find out why, when you try changing this on the fly - which is not usually simple.

PARACHUTE - Place Icons for FILE MANAGER/BROWSER on the home screen so you can find this in a hurry, if you tap the wrong thing. Most devices also have a QUICK ACCESS menu to present three or four APPS on all screens. Place an ICON here so you will never be lost for long.

HOW TO MAKE A VIRTUAL “PLAYLIST”

File manager doesn’t recognise musci playlists obviously because it is just a simple file browser and not an AUDIO player.

However you can make it follow your playlist if you can accept the results being a little basic using the following steps:-

FILE MANAGER will present files in any folder using a logical order including:-

Numerical

Alphabetical

By type

SOLUTION – Label the tracks using a logical format that FILE MANAGER recognises and can SORT.

Example - if you want your first track to appear at the top of the list in the music folder you simply RENAME the track adding 01 before the existing file name.

FILE MANAGER will show this first.

You can achieve the same using an alphabetical listing.

Once you get the idea of how this is all achieved you can customise these very basic controls and steps to achieve a highly effective result although one with very limited functions.

You will probably find it is best to save actual copies of the tracks you will use into groups held in specific folders that reflect the show you intend to play.

ADVICE – Turn off everything else

Please bear in mind, that if you are going to try this, you are using a FILE MANAGER not an AUDIO tool. It therefore has no pre-configured settings that are designed to work the way that you intend.

Most recent ANDROID devices have a huge number of systems and processes that are active, before we even start talking about your APPS and personal settings.

Best way is to get an old phone and strip out all of the APPS.

FORCE STOP then DISABLE anything and EVERYTHING that you do not require.

Ensure you are in AIRPLANE mode.

If you do not heed this advice, everything will work perfectly, for days, weeks even months, until one day without warning an active APP will activate something that interrupts your performance.

I hope this is of use to some of you and if not you’ll be glad to note I won’t be interrupting your otherwise excellent forum any more.

Good Luck.
Hi DevRange,

Using a music player at a live gig is what a lot of solo, duo and trio performers do.
We (guitarists, keyboard players etc) use a MP to play backing tracks (like drums, bass, other instruments etc) as we don't have the full band as backing.

I will break it down to some basics as an example live gig that I do.
BTW I have been using a 10" netbook for that past few years and now have an Acer Iconia Tablet........

I play guitar and sing & have 300 or so MP3 backing tracks.
When playing live I need:
A layout that is uncluttered and easy to read....
scalable large fonts, no album art, no file extension etc. (See image in previous post)
Easy to navigate....
folder selection on LHS of screen and contents of folder on RHS (See image in previous post)
Auto Pause at the end of each song....
I have other things to do whan a song finishes like talk to the crowd, quickly tune my guitar or even sometimes I might not even be next to my Tablet at the end of the song.
No Auto Start....
No song starts automatically at any time. Even when a new folder is selected. Song always starts when the play button is tapped. Note that while the current song is playing, I need the ability to tap another song title (called queing up the next song). Then when the current song finishes, I just have to hit the play button when it's time and the next song starts.
No Album Art, No play by artist....
This is a working tool not a visual / listening app.
Playlists or folders....
(The Windows program I use is structured for folders).
Either one is ok. I usually make my folders up as sets on my PC then copy them as folders to my Tablet.
Shuffle option os ok...
Alphabet down RHS of screen to find a song quickly...

I hope this is enough at this stage to give you a concept of the player.
There are may many thousands of muso's out there who may have their own special requirements but this is basically what it's all about.

BTW the windows program I use on my net book is called 1BY1
It has all the functions I have mentioned and a lot of options in the settings (a lot of which aren't needed).

The App I am using at the moment is 'MusicFolderPlayer' by ZorillaSoft.
It was the closest thing I could find in the market place that even came close to what I could use live. The author (Steffen) very kindly made a couple of enhancements to it like add 'Musician Mode' which is auuto pause at the end of each song and fonts that are able to go above 40.

Steffen may or may not delv into creating something like this but at this stage he has other things on his agenda i believe.
I'm sure that if there's apps out there for working musicians they will cross over to Tablets and start jumping on an app like this. I'm sure who ever creates this app will be in a situaltion to sell it in the market place and make a few bucks!
I have about 5 or 6 fellow muso's who would love this App and would help in beta testing it so it gets more than just my opinion of how useful it is.

Enough rambling for tonite.

Cheers...Wayne

Upvote 0
Hi DevRange,

Using a music player at a live gig is what a lot of solo, duo and trio performers do.
We (guitarists, keyboard players etc) use a MP to play backing tracks (like drums, bass, other instruments etc) as we don't have the full band as backing.

I will break it down to some basics as an example live gig that I do.
BTW I have been using a 10" netbook for that past few years and now have an Acer Iconia Tablet........

I play guitar and sing & have 300 or so MP3 backing tracks.
When playing live I need:
A layout that is uncluttered and easy to read....
scalable large fonts, no album art, no file extension etc. (See image in previous post)
Easy to navigate....
folder selection on LHS of screen and contents of folder on RHS (See image in previous post)
Auto Pause at the end of each song....
I have other things to do whan a song finishes like talk to the crowd, quickly tune my guitar or even sometimes I might not even be next to my Tablet at the end of the song.
No Auto Start....
No song starts automatically at any time. Even when a new folder is selected. Song always starts when the play button is tapped. Note that while the current song is playing, I need the ability to tap another song title (called queing up the next song). Then when the current song finishes, I just have to hit the play button when it's time and the next song starts.
No Album Art, No play by artist....
This is a working tool not a visual / listening app.
Playlists or folders....
(The Windows program I use is structured for folders).
Either one is ok. I usually make my folders up as sets on my PC then copy them as folders to my Tablet.
Shuffle option os ok...
Alphabet down RHS of screen to find a song quickly...

I hope this is enough at this stage to give you a concept of the player.
There are may many thousands of muso's out there who may have their own special requirements but this is basically what it's all about.

BTW the windows program I use on my net book is called 1BY1
It has all the functions I have mentioned and a lot of options in the settings (a lot of which aren't needed).

The App I am using at the moment is 'MusicFolderPlayer' by ZorillaSoft.
It was the closest thing I could find in the market place that even came close to what I could use live. The author (Steffen) very kindly made a couple of enhancements to it like add 'Musician Mode' which is auuto pause at the end of each song and fonts that are able to go above 40.

Steffen may or may not delv into creating something like this but at this stage he has other things on his agenda i believe.
I'm sure that if there's apps out there for working musicians they will cross over to Tablets and start jumping on an app like this. I'm sure who ever creates this app will be in a situaltion to sell it in the market place and make a few bucks!
I have about 5 or 6 fellow muso's who would love this App and would help in beta testing it so it gets more than just my opinion of how useful it is.

Enough rambling for tonite.

Cheers...Wayne

Upvote 0
I`ve looked at:
OnSong, One Track, Gig Track, etc... and many more.
This one seems to be it! Pauser Pro.
is an audio player with the additional convenient features.
Autopause, song’s lyrics display, crossfade and fade out.
Might be worth a look.

My opinion only.
I only want to play backing tracks and player guitar and sing. That's all.

cheers

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones