• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App for setting ringtones/notifications according to WiFi nearby?

Smithers

Dec 30, 2009
Hi there,

I'm looking for an app that sets specific actions (like changing ringtones, volume of notifications, e-mail notifies on/off) according to the SSID/availability of WiFi networks nearby.

Pretty much like "locale" does for position, but tied to WiFi availability. The idea is that I can turn off e-mail alarms/notifies when I'm at home/work where I have a PC anyway (WiFi of home/work is detected) while automatically having them turned on when I leave the house (no wifi anymore).

Any suggestions are very appreciated!

Smithers

Locale's "situations" can be tied to WiFi availability (or so they claim). I just tried setting up a location-based situation and got an error when trying to "train" the WiFi setup, so I'm not really sure how well this works, or if it will do what you want, but it sounded like you didn't know the capability was (theoretically) there.

Upvote 0
Hi Mike,

thanks for stating that, I tried locale and it seems to determine the location based on a bunch of factors combined to allow for accuracy.
However, I found the "things to do" that locale offers a bit too general, i.e. I cannot switch the notification settings / turn vibration on in the GMail app when leaving the house. I can just switch the basic things.

Maybe I can elaborate on this with the ASE & python a bit more but I'll have to check that.

Regards,

Smithers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones