1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

App for tracking cell locations?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by vantiveman, Jun 27, 2011.

1. vantiveman

vantiveman Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 25, 2010
    Hi,
    When I used Nokia there was a great App that allowed you to record the cell tower Ids present at various locations (like train stations). You could then set up alerts that would trigger when you came back into the range of these cells.
    Is there anything like that for Android - and if not, why not?
    I have seen many location based apps that use GPS, but mostly (unless you are right next to a big window) GPS isn't going to work in a train. However, Cell towers will work anywhere you have a cellular signal.
    It worked great under Symbian, and I would really love if a similar app existed for android, as I would no longer worry about falling asleep and missing my stop when I am on the train. I have searched the market, but have found nothing yet than can do this, fairly simple, task.
    Anyone know of any app that can do this? By the way, the symbian app didn't need a data connection to do this!

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
  3. vantiveman

None

Jan 25, 2010
    Seriously? A simple scenario - record the cell Ids just outside Bedford Station. Save with event name Bedford. Do the same just before St Pancras & save with name St Pancras.
    On the way back to Bedford, I select location "Bedford" and the app sounds an alarm when the same saved cell Ids are found.

So,I can do that with Tasker?

4. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    correct.

5. vantiveman

None

Jan 25, 2010
    I certainly admire the efficiency of your replies, Sitlet. No wasted words. Still, I guess I now have to buy tasker and learn to program it at what is probably a quite advanced level to perform the required tasks.
    I would have just bought the required program straight away, had there been one already written.
    Oh well. What better way to learn than by doing it myself!
    Thanks.

6. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    There may be a "canned" app. Tasker's the only one that comes off the top of my head. I actually use Cell Near quite a bit as it's not as power hungry as location-based profiles that rely on GPS.

How difficult the learning curve is really just depends on you. I've seen people with coding experience claim that it's difficult. I have some coding experience but I'm by no means a coder and had no difficulty figuring it out. If you're the type that memorizes steps you'll probably have problems. If you can grasp how profiles, contexts, tasks and actions work with each other then you'll have a better chance of getting the hang of it.

There are plenty of examples on the Tasker site to play with plus the Tasker forums and countless threads on Tasker on various Android forum sites. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask.

7. vantiveman

None

Jan 25, 2010
    Hi Takeshi, and thanks for your reply.

Perhaps you could explain Cell Near? I have Tasker and have tried a new task, using a location context with only Net selected. I then find the trigger location on a map and give it a name, like the station name.
    Then I just add a misc task to get the phone to say an arrival message.
    Haven't tested it yet, until I go back to the UK, but I could create another for a local test.
    However, it seems to me that this is not using Cell Near. What is the name of the context that it uses?
    Thanks,