1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root App Freezing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wyelkins, Jun 27, 2011.

1. wyelkins

wyelkins Android Expert
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    Financial Services
    Savannah, GA
    I see that many Root Utilities including Titanium Backup have the option to Freeze and Thaw applications. I assume this is usually an intermediate step before uninstalling an app to give you time to see that there are no ill effects. Maybe there are reasons to temporarily freeze an app.

What does this really mean and technically what really happens when you freeze an app. How does this differ from uninstalling. Sorry, too sleepy for question marks.

Advertisement

2. dbwelch

dbwelch Newbie
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    I had the same question about what is the real value of freeze/thaw. I read that you freeze to test the effect of removing an app, with the option to revert back if you find that it caused problems. If you've confirmed that there are no unanticipated effects you can go ahead and delete permanently if you wish. I know that is only a partial answer, so hopefully someone else will help with the second half.

3. Viet1982

Viet1982 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    New Orleans
    Well from what I read from various apps from both the Android and Amazon Markets, freezing an app puts it into like a "hibernation/sleep" state where it doesn't run in the background at all. Basically you're preventing the app from running no matter what. One use for freezing an app would be to conserve battery power when you know an app constantly runs in the background and instead of killing it you may freeze it. Thawing brings the app out of the frozen mode.

4. Mnemonic

Mnemonic Member
    None

Jun 23, 2011

Freezing also stops the app from auto updating.

5. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    Basically, if you have an app you like but it keeps running and burning up your battery you can freeze it and thaw when you want to use it. Comes in handy for apps like Where,Poynt and things like that.

6. wyelkins

wyelkins Android Expert
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    Financial Services
    Savannah, GA
    Thanks to everybody for the info. I am on a quest to maximize my battery and am trying various things so this is helpful. Got the battery lasting almost 20 hours now. Up from 15 last week. Maybe just a little more...