1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [APP] GL to SD - move apps to external storage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sneaky_1, Jan 24, 2013.

1. sneaky_1

sneaky_1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 26, 2012
    WNY
    A handy little app to move large game data files and other app data files to the external SD. It doesn't move all app data but it helps greatly. On the plus side it doesn't require partitioning of the SD card or scripts to run.

If the app your trying to move ins't in the list, first enable mounting the sdcard/data in GL to SD options. Then most apps can have their data copied from /data/data to sdcard/_ExternalSD/data. Then the app can be launched with GL2SD.

Market link --- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slf.ListglApp&hl=en

The dev's blog --- tnslf2k's Blog: About "GL to SD"

A nice review with instructions
    --- How to Move Android Game Data to SD Card with GL to SD

Enjoy :)

Advertisement

DsyMnapTic and Artine like this.
  2. elgecko

elgecko Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    PA, USA
    Never tried GL2SD on the OE. Screens to small to play most games.
    Use it on my Samsung GT2 and works great. Have a ton of games on it.

sneaky_1 likes this.
  3. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert
    None

Aug 18, 2012
    Male
    I used it with Asphalt 7. It was 1.3GB. Don't remove the data out of /sdcard/android/data/ tho. What this actually does is symlinks it. I noticed the downloadable data you download from within the app, is still in /sdcard/android/data but it shows it as it actually taking no space at all. Therefore it's basically fooled the app to reading it from the original location, which all those files in the original location are blank files with links in them to where they really are. As far as I know that's what it does. This app does come in handy. Do NOT delete the data in /data/data or /data/app tho. That's where the actual game saves and other app data is stored. Usually the .apk for an app isn't larger then 50mb anyways so that isn't the problem. And .apk's are installed to /data/app (where google play installs things too) and when you use the app all the user data is in data/data and when you open an app and it requests to download additional data that is stored too the internal memory in /sdcard/android/data which is what this GL2SD app is used for. Linking the /sdcard/android/data folders to /sdcard/_ExternalSD/ hopefully all this made sense lol.

sneaky_1 likes this.
  4. sneaky_1

sneaky_1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 26, 2012
    WNY
    Thanks for the info, I edited the OP. I tested with removing the data for smaller apps not the larger games. It makes sense it will run into issues with larger game data.