• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [APP] GL to SD - move apps to external storage

sneaky_1

Android Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2012
WNY
A handy little app to move large game data files and other app data files to the external SD. It doesn't move all app data but it helps greatly. On the plus side it doesn't require partitioning of the SD card or scripts to run.

If the app your trying to move ins't in the list, first enable mounting the sdcard/data in GL to SD options. Then most apps can have their data copied from /data/data to sdcard/_ExternalSD/data. Then the app can be launched with GL2SD.

Market link --- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slf.ListglApp&hl=en

The dev's blog --- tnslf2k's Blog: About "GL to SD"

A nice review with instructions
--- How to Move Android Game Data to SD Card with GL to SD

Enjoy :)

I used it with Asphalt 7. It was 1.3GB. Don't remove the data out of /sdcard/android/data/ tho. What this actually does is symlinks it. I noticed the downloadable data you download from within the app, is still in /sdcard/android/data but it shows it as it actually taking no space at all. Therefore it's basically fooled the app to reading it from the original location, which all those files in the original location are blank files with links in them to where they really are. As far as I know that's what it does. This app does come in handy. Do NOT delete the data in /data/data or /data/app tho. That's where the actual game saves and other app data is stored. Usually the .apk for an app isn't larger then 50mb anyways so that isn't the problem. And .apk's are installed to /data/app (where google play installs things too) and when you use the app all the user data is in data/data and when you open an app and it requests to download additional data that is stored too the internal memory in /sdcard/android/data which is what this GL2SD app is used for. Linking the /sdcard/android/data folders to /sdcard/_ExternalSD/ hopefully all this made sense lol.

Reactions: sneaky_1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones