• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

New user here...

I purchased GrooveIP to use on my AT&T Atrix while traveling in Mexico on business. I'll have access to free Wifi a lot. Yesterday everything worked, except the person I was calling got a lot of echos. Today, we were going to experiment with the echo reduction settings, but I found I can't place any outgoing calls using Groove. I can receive calls when I call my Google Voice number, and I went to the GV web page and was able to initiate a call as described in the FAQ (it did some kind of call-back thing).

But when I try to *make* a call using Groove all I get is silence. It worked yesterday, and when I called my office phone it would ring almost immediately. Now, nothing. And I don't think I changed anything. Wifi is on with a good signal, and the GV status icon is green. Tried rebooting.

Tried enabling the 'Allow 3G' setting and shutting off wifi. Got a green GV icon again, but still no outgoing calls (can receive on 3G, though). Incoming texts work, so GV seems to be working ok.

Tried adding a 1 and a +1 to the area code.

I'm stumped. I'm about to try to uninstall and reinstall, but before I do that, since I can *receive* calls, I'm thinking this must be a configuration problem.

Suggestions?

-Dave-

Upvote 0
But when I try to *make* a call using Groove all I get is silence. It worked yesterday, and when I called my office phone it would ring almost immediately. Now, nothing. And I don't think I changed anything. Wifi is on with a good signal, and the GV status icon is green. Tried rebooting.

It isn't just you. Something is preventing GrooVe IP from making outgoing calls. Hopefully it is just a temporary problem on Google's end and not them blocking 3rd party apps from using Google Chat to make calls.

Upvote 0
It isn't just you. Something is preventing GrooVe IP from making outgoing calls. Hopefully it is just a temporary problem on Google's end and not them blocking 3rd party apps from using Google Chat to make calls.

Hi,

That issue started affecting people this morning. It appears that either there is a problem on the Google servers or Google may have modified the calling specification slightly. Incoming calls appear to still work. We're looking into it and should have more answers or a solution soon.

Upvote 0
Hi,

That issue started affecting people this morning. It appears that either there is a problem on the Google servers or Google may have modified the calling specification slightly. Incoming calls appear to still work. We're looking into it and should have more answers or a solution soon.

Appreciate you being on top of things snrb. I was having trouble getting calls to go out today so thought I'd check on the forum - there was your answer. Looking forward to a fix - but know that it is in good hands!

Upvote 0
Just a quick tip for those who may have been befuddled like me.

The problem: I wasn't able to accept any calls.

When calling my GV number, there was no ringing. You went straight to voicemail.

This was after disabling forwarding to all but Google Chat. I could make calls from GrooVe IP or any other Chat instance (like Gmail), but I couldn't receive a call.

The solution: Disable and re-enable Chat.

I had another VoIP client enabled in GV, which I turned on after initially setting up Chat. Apparently, unchecking the box next to that VoIP client didn't work. I needed to uncheck and re-check the Chat box to get GV to forward calls to Chat.

Thanks to snrb Labs for such a great app!

Upvote 0
I installed 1.2.1 version of Groove ip. it can't make a call outside and can't receive any call in. it seems that the software is calling from the screen. but calling voice could be heard and the called phone device did not ring at all. please help. I already do all the possible step such as uncheck phone device from google voice setting, sign out from gmail..........

Upvote 0
I installed 1.2.1 version of Groove ip. it can't make a call outside and can't receive any call in. it seems that the software is calling from the screen. but calling voice could be heard and the called phone device did not ring at all. please help. I already do all the possible step such as uncheck phone device from google voice setting, sign out from gmail..........

You need version 1.2.2. Google made a change to their servers Friday morning. Any version before 1.2.2 will not be able to make outgoing calls.

Upvote 0
I have the latest version, but whenever I shut the screen off I consistently miss incoming calls. I have wifi sleep set to never and have also enabled the wifi perf lock but nothing. If I am calling my gv number and then turn the screen on, it immediately goes through and starts ringing.

HTC Thunderbolt
CM7 Slayer's RC 1.6.1

Upvote 0
Hi cottongin,

I was struggling with this same problem too.

The issue is that GV does in fact call your phone, via Chat, but the call only comes through when your phone wakes up and polls the WiFi service. This might happen on the first ring, maybe the second ring, or it might not happen until after your GV voicemail has picked up. There's no way to know how many rings you'll get.

It sounds like you suspect this too, which is why you've disabled WiFi sleep. Are you sure it's working and WiFi is never sleeping? Have you tried an app like Advanced WiFi Lock, just to be sure?

As you probably know, not letting the WiFi service sleep eats up your battery life. Unfortunately, it's a tradeoff between possibly (probably?) missing calls, or drastically shorter battery life.

While we're on the subject, is there an app that lets you set the WiFi polling/waking time? I haven't seen one, but if such as app exists that might allow you to find a balance between the tradeoffs I mentioned below.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones