1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[App help] Google Music keeps stopping on me

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by pacothebandit, Jul 6, 2013.

1. pacothebandit

pacothebandit Android Enthusiast

I have a T-mobile HTC One and I'll he listening to all access music on Google play (though the app of course) and the app just stops working, that's to say my music stops and I have to press play again either on the widget or by opening the app.

I'm really just wondering if anyone else is having this issue. It used to do this but I thought a software update fixed it, but its back. Would love any feedback or assistance!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

Are you streaming,or,listening to downloaded/cached music,or,does it stop all the time on both?

marctronixx likes this.
  3. pacothebandit

Streaming. Now that I think of it, its usually when streaming. It does it on spotify as well.

4. marctronixx

moved to app forum so more eyes can see and respond.

i use GM on my xoom tablet and i have seen this error a few times. since the xoom is wifi only, i can not test if it does this on cellular.

one thing you can do is close the app, clear cache and data, then re open the app. this should have you go back through the initial setup stages. then, test the unit.

5. pacothebandit

Thanks for moving it. Okay I can try that, what do you think that would affect it on multiple different applications?

6. bigdrew

bigdrew Member

Pin some music and see if it stops playing. If not, it's a network problem. I've had something similar happen to me if I'm streaming on my tablet to my audio receiver and forget to check the option to allow wifi to never sleep.

KOLIO likes this.
  7. androidchrisd

androidchrisd Lurker

I've had similar trouble. I think it may have to do with a network drop, although I haven't been able to prove that. It is quite annoying to have the music stop randomly though.

pacothebandit likes this.
  8. pacothebandit

I don't think it has much to do with that. I actually work for T-Mobile and am very aware of the network status of my device at most times. That said, I will pin some music and see what happens!

9. pacothebandit

Confirmed that this happens even when music is pinned. Is there a way to use ADB to see what is crashing in the scripts or whatever? At least then I can post in on Google support or something.

10. jj2me

jj2me Well-Known Member

Happens to me, too. Streaming over wi-fi. Unless a fix is forthcoming, or it's user error that I can correct, I'll have to cancel my subscription.

[EDIT: It may or may not be different. You say yours just stops working; mine gives me a popup saying something [see EDIT 2]. I've only been on the Play Music app screen when it happens, so maybe the popup won't appear if you're displaying another app or screen.]

[EDIT 2: Only took me about two minutes of playing the Radio to get the popup:
    "Music temporarily unavailable
    Couldn't play the stream you requested"]​

11. pacothebandit

Nah. Mine quits playback. Its still in the notification drawer so I can hit play. But playback quits. Streaming or not. Doesn't matter.

thangbom likes this.
  12. jj2me

jj2me Well-Known Member

Can you try to see if you get the same popup by staying on the Google Play screen (I've gotten it on the screen that displays the full-screen album art for the song)?

If so, this thread on the Google Mobile Help Forum tells us that the stopping of music concurrent with that popup occurs mostly on LG phones (though owners of a few other devices [Galaxy S4, Nexus 7, Vizio Co-Star] also reported the problem), and there seems to be no cure yet.