1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

(App Idea) Movement Tracker for Phillips Hue

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by CmdData, Feb 21, 2020.

1. CmdData

CmdData Lurker

Hello,

I just came up with an interesting idea that I believe could have some potential but sadly I don't have any coding skills and was wondering if maybe there's already an app like this out there, or there is potentially a developer who would be willing to give this a try! :)

My idea essentially involves sensing changes in the wifi levels combined with something like an altimeter to know where your phone and by association you are in the house and using this information can change the light level of the Hue smart lamps depending on whether or not you're in the room or not. This app already measures the wifi strength which could be used as a starting place.

When you first start up the app it could ask you to stand in roughly the middle of a room, and then specify which lamps are currently in the room. It then takes a wifi level and altimeter reading, and now knows where that room is and it's lamps. Now repeat the procedure with every room with a smart lamp in the house. Now the app has various "points" which signify the centre of a room in the house at different floor levels. When your phone then comes close to one of these points by analyzing the wifi strength, it will automatically turn on the lights in that room, and turn off the lights in all other rooms.

Let me know if you want some clarification, I look forward to feedback and more ideas!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download