1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support App installed on SD card still results in space used in the phone's memory

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by snipsta, Feb 17, 2011.

1. snipsta

snipsta Lurker
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi,

I recently got an LG optimus s which I am very happy with. The only problem with this phone is the very small amount of internal memory (about 168mb to work with). For this reason, I have to be very selective of the apps I install. I recently purchased a 16gb sd card thinking this would solve my problem.

For the apps that actually can be installed to the SD card, why is it that they still take up a decent amount of space on the phone's memory?

An example is angry birds which approx. 15mb goes to the card and 3mb or so stays on the phone. I am getting this information by looking at the application in setting. It says the Total Storage used is 3mb which I assume is the portion that remains on the phone.

Am I reading this right and is there anyway to not have it take up so much space on the phone?

Also any tips for using less space on the phone?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Only certain data can be stored on the sd card. The app itself has to be stored on the internal memory.

3. stevenlong

stevenlong Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    Austin, TX
    There are other ways of moving applications to your SD card.
    They are a little more technical than just pressing buttons.

There is a way to partition your SD card and then use one of the partitions for all of your applications. This requires a SD card with a little speed (e.g. no class 2)

There are some programs in the market place that say they allow you run your applications from the SD card. Can speak to these as I have not tried.

You can root your phone and then used titanium backup pro to move more of your applications to the SD card. This is very much like what is built into the OS in that it still leaves some of the application in phone memory but has the advantage of being able to do this to all applications not just applications that have been designed to do so.

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    There's two ways to load apps to your SD card. The default Froyo way is called 'apps2sd.' In this manner, part of the app (the executable part) has to stay in internal memory. The reason is that the SD card filesystem is formatted as FAT32, a format that is readable by many operating systems. Linux can read FAT32 but cannot execute code from it, so the entire app can't be moved to the SD card.

The solution to this is something called 'a2sd.' Search that on these forums and xda for more information. Here, you create a partition on the SD card and format that partition as EXT2, which allows Linux to execute from it. Next you move all app data to that partition and create a symlink to it, thereby fooling Android into thinking that the data is still on the internal memory.

Here's a guide on how to get your phone set up with a2sd. It assumes you are rooted and have some familiarity with the linux command line.

Manually partition your SD card:
    Fat_Ext2_Partition - android-roms - How To: Partition SDCard Fat32 / Ext2 - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Note: your custom recovery can do this for you if you don't want to do it via the terminal.

Manual A2SD setup:
    A2SD - android-roms - How To: Apps 2 SD - Project Hosting on Google Code

Hope that helps.

5. Kmfiremedic111

Kmfiremedic111 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 27, 2010
    Dearborn Michigan

I don't ever plan on rooting my phone. Is there a way to make all this happen on the SD card WITHOUT rooting?