• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App keeps reverting to previous version

ShamusVW

Jun 5, 2019
I have a problem where AS installs a version of my app v1.07 onto my phone when it is plugged into my PC (Windows). This is the latest version.
I then generate an APK and copy it to a location on our intranet (since it is local to our company only)
If I then link to the intranet on my phone, and download and install this APK, the app then reverts to v1.06 on my phone.
Initially I thought that AS was not updating the APK, but subsequently I found this not be the case.
On a different phone that had an even older app (v1.04), I linked to this APK and installed it, and it correctly reflected v1.07. So the APK generated is definitely v1.07. I also tested this on a phone that had never had the app previously installed, and it went straight to v1.07 from this downloaded APK.

So back on my phone I went into app settings, and deleted the data & cache, an then uninstalled the app.
I also went to downloads and APK's downloaded, and deleted anything downloaded. I then tried to install the APK again from the intranet link, and it is AGAIN v1.06.

I can't figure out where it is getting this v1.06, but also why it isn't reflecting v1.07 when that is what the APK version is...?

For reference, I have also asked this question on Stack Overflow

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59176581/android-studio-generating-old-version-apk

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones