• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App Management w/ Multiple Markets?

Hi all,

New android user here migrating over from an iPhone. With iOS, there's only the one Market (AppStore), and the phone syncs constantly with iTunes to keep a list/backup of all purchased apps.

Been doing a little research since ordering my phone, and it seems that there's at least 3 different ways for me to access the official Android Market; the official "Market" app, Amazon App Store, or App Brain (and maybe others)?

A few things aren't clear to me with this setup. First, are these all separate markets, or just different front-ends on the same, official, android market? Second, either way, how is your purchase history maintained? Do I need to actively keep track of what apps I've bought, and from where, or is this handled automatically in some way? Finally, my wife has been using a Droid X for about a year and has a few paid apps on it; since we're (now) on the same cellular account, is there a way for her to share those apps on both phones, as we could with two iPhones?

There are really only 2 official markets for android devices... Google's "Market" and Amazon's "AppStore". Appbrain is a front end to the market w/ a very nice web interface that allows a person to (imo) search for apps far easier especially if browsing from a PC. It also allows you to keep multiple lists for app managment. For example, besides the default list of apps currently on my phone, i keep a backup list of all apps on my phone, a list of possible apps to try, and a list of apps to use when needed ie "watchdog", "OS Monitor", and some of my holiday themed apps. When you open the AppBrain app on your phone you are able to update any currently installed apps and install apps you found while browsing from your pc. When you click to update/install it directs you to Google's market for the actual download and install but takes you back to your appbrain app when done to allow you to do additional app managment

both the market and amazon's appstore manage your purchased apps for you and are linked to your respective accounts (either gmail or amazon). Google market's purchase policy is one app one gmail account, amazon's app store allows you to install their apps on multiple devices. So if your wife bought her apps through google market using her gmail account you will not be able to install the apps on your device that is tied to your gmail account. If she purchased her apps through amazon and you both use the same amazon account, you will be able to install those apps on your device.

Reactions: Senna1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones