• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App monetization via cryptocurrency mining

Status
Not open for further replies.
The commission is not finalized yet, but it will be linked to volume. It will probably be anywhere between 1%-30% based on the # of number of end user installations - the higher number of installations, the lower the commission – down to 1% only.

Regarding the power consumption – we still need to run some tests to verify the exact figures. In any case, the recommendation will be to activate the mining at night during charging.

The estimated net profit (app developer) is ~ $0.04/Installed App/Month at 1.5 hours mining per day.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm not sure a mobile device (phone or tablet) is an optimal platform for long-term, resource-intensive computing...

I get how there's a large, untapped amount of computing power out there, but I certainly would not want to subject any of my devices to this...they're just not built with or for what I presume would be the necessary heat dissipation from these activities.

But then again, I've also seen how many folks treat their phones and can totally see them not caring :p.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm not sure a mobile device (phone or tablet) is an optimal platform for long-term, resource-intensive computing...

It's not. You'll be mining an absolutely minuscule amount of coin.
And that variation of 1-30% commission, well I just hope that the OP is making it crystal clear that nearly a third of their minute amount of coin is going to the developer.

I get how there's a large, untapped amount of computing power out there, but I certainly would not want to subject any of my devices to this...they're just not built with or for what I presume would be the necessary heat dissipation from these activities.

It's a brilliant idea for the developer. Farming out the mining to (hopefully) 1000's of devices could be quite a money earner.
But I don't believe the estimated revenue stated of 0.04 BTC/month. This is, at current conversion value $282.39.
Hm, really? From 1.5 hours mining a day, on a low powered phone device?
Can the OP explain how that estimate was arrived at?

But then again, I've also seen how many folks treat their phones and can totally see them not caring :p.

Probably. There's one born every minute. ;)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Well if you are interested please make sure any app you develop clearly states that it includes this. Because personally, as a user, I would regard this as malware, and would be exceptionally annoyed to find someone had sneaked it onto my phone without making it clear and giving me the choice to avoid it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones