• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App moving task froze! !!

Today, I wanted to move most of my games to my SD card to save space on my phone. My SD card had 7.5 GB free. So, I went to the storage settings and started moving them. It seemed to be working, so I set my phone down for it to finish. A few hours later, I came to check on it. I saw that a few of the apps had finished moving, but some of them weren't done. Looking closer, I saw that the progress bars seemed to be locked in place. What's more, there was an image at the top of my screen (where notification previews are shown), but the Notification was not shown when swiping down from the top of my screen. The image looked like an arrow facing left with a cross in the middle. Waiting a while, I realized that the tasks were not being run. I also saw that the RAM being used on my phone was less than it should be. I am afraid to reset my phone, because I think it will delete all the apps that were being moved. I'm not sure what else to do. Help!

Last edited:
I wouldn't reset, but at some point you'll have to reboot if it remains unresponsive.

Hopefully it will do the move in a sensible way, i.e. copy the parts it moves (this only moves part of the app) and only delete the original and reassign pointers once that is done, in which case unless you are unlucky you'll be ok. But I can't promise that, just that if nothing changes then sooner or later you'll have no choice.

(I assume you meant reboot rather than reset - reset definitely would delete these apps and all others too).

Upvote 0
I wouldn't reset, but at some point you'll have to reboot if it remains unresponsive.
Hopefully it will do the move in a sensible way, i.e. copy the parts it moves (this only moves part of the app) and only delete the original and reassign pointers once that is done, in which case unless you are unlucky you'll be OK. But I can't promise that, just that if nothing changes then sooner or later you'll have no choice.
(I assume you meant reboot rather than reset - reset definitely would delete these apps and all others too).

I would really like a surefire solution. I don't like to take chances.

Upvote 0
Upon more studying,  I noticed that the phone is acting as if nothing has moved at all. However,  when I go to storage settings, it says that the all is stored in the SD card,  despite being organized with the apps stored on the phone. Also,  it seems like the SD card has not gained or lost any storage space. I'm not sure what to make out of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones