• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App not Installed error when updating the app by installing updated apk file

I have installed latest Android Studio "Android Studio Dolphin | 2021.3.1 Patch 1" in my new laptop and copied existing App folder and its jks file.
I am able to generate Signed APK file in the new Android Studio after updating
versionName in app/build.gradle file. If I install the new apk in my mobile (where the app is already installed with previous versionName), it says "app is not installed" error.

In my old Android Studio, I was able to update versionName, generate apk file and able to update the app.

Could you please tell what could be the issue.

Note:
- my apk/app is installed in the mobile by enabling "allow from unknown sources".
- in old Android Studio, while generating Signed APK, there were options for Signature Version as V1 and V2. I used to enable both of them to generate the apk. but in the latest Android Studio, it is not shown. Could that be a reason ?

I have installed latest Android Studio "Android Studio Dolphin | 2021.3.1 Patch 1" in my new laptop and copied existing App folder and its jks file.
I am able to generate Signed APK file in the new Android Studio after updating
versionName in app/build.gradle file. If I install the new apk in my mobile (where the app is already installed with previous versionName), it says "app is not installed" error.

In my old Android Studio, I was able to update versionName, generate apk file and able to update the app.

Could you please tell what could be the issue.

Note:
- my apk/app is installed in the mobile by enabling "allow from unknown sources".
- in old Android Studio, while generating Signed APK, there were options for Signature Version as V1 and V2. I used to enable both of them to generate the apk. but in the latest Android Studio, it is not shown. Could that be a reason ?
In addition to the 'versionName', have you increased the 'versionCode'?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones