• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App notification sounds are ignored, only the default is used

I've got a Galaxy S7 running Android 7.0. And I'm trying to setup a reminder app (tried several, actually), because I want different notification sounds for different reminders/events. But no matter which app I try, only the default notification sound is used, instead of the one I choose for the app.

I've been in the phone settings, and the apps I'm trying to use are allowed to send notifications. Is this limitation something new?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I tried Light Flow, since I've seen it mentioned in other similar threads. But still the default notification sound is the only one playing. Extremely frustrating!

Last edited:
Well, the apps let me choose them. The one I'm trying to use is actually in the ringtones folder. I know some apps will only look in the notifications folder, but many will let you choose from ringtones or music. I'll try copying the file to notifications, but this sort of thing used to work all the time.

Come to think of it, my custom notifications for email haven't been playing either. Hmm. I recently started using the Microsoft Launcher, could that be the culprit?

Upvote 0
Still can't figure out why this isn't working.

I got rid of the MS launcher, and re-applied notifications on some apps that had reverted to the default, but every reminder app I try won't use the sounds I tell them to, they only use the default system notification sounds.

And I tried Light Flow, which can even let you modify an outstanding notification notification and modify its behavior. When I test it in Lightflow, it works, in the field, default notification sound. It's such a stupid, simple thing, but aggravating as hell!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones