1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support App np longer available in Play....but I still want it on my devices

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TeamTJ, Jan 9, 2014.

1. TeamTJ

TeamTJ Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    I bought an app in the Play store a long time ago.

I got a new tablet and wanted to put it on that, but I find that the app is no longer there...in fact, the dev's website is dead, too.

My phone is NOT rooted. Is there anything i can do or is this phone the last time I'll be able to use the app?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    You can back the app up with App Backup & Restore (free at the Play store) or a similar app. That will give you an apk file of the app. Put the apk file on your tablet (transfer it from the phone to your computer, then from your computer to your tablet). Run the apk file (use Total Commander, ES File Explorer or the file manager of your choice.) That will run the package installer and install it on the tablet.

Normally this would be stealing, you pay for a single machine installation, but if the developer is no longer available, so you can't pay for another copy, I'd consider it okay - even though I've been a software developer for decades. If I still want to get paid for something I wrote, I'd make sure it was linked to an email address or phone number that would be good until I die. (I've abandoned a lot of shareware I've written, and if people want to use it without paying I'm fine with that.)

TeamTJ likes this.
  3. TeamTJ

TeamTJ Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Wow, this worked like a charm!

I was worried it would not since instead of getting an apk I got an apz, but it took me to the app in the market (that I could not find by searching) and installed like a champ.

Thanks so much!!!