• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App-Off 1 - Best Note-taking app

Ill Throw in my two cents.
Have tried a most of the apps mentioned so far but have settled on note everything pro. I have One Note on the computer and would rather use that on my GalTab. I have tried mobilenoter with their sync program and it works nicely for viewing editing my onenote notes. The deal-breaker is that i cant CREATE new notes on the mobile in mobilenoter. that totally ruins the app imho.

so note everything pro is what im using now. it lets u make all kinds of notes with a nice UI. the google docs sync is nice but it only syncs the text. whats the point of syncing a photo note with only the text?? CATCH will sync pics to the catch website but, then they are "stuck" on the catch website. I think this is where all the note apps fall short.
I need to be able to export my notes (all different kinds) to a format that is independent of the app. Pdf for example. If I'm at work and take a bunch of picture notes. I need to be able to export these to our server so that everyone can access them.

anyone have a solution?
app-developers are you reading this?;-)

Upvote 0
Thanks to mjschmidt for starting this discussion. It was very useful to me.

I have had my Android device (cell phone) for less than two weeks so I am, obviously, very new to this.

I have, for now, decided to use Catch. So far, it is working well for me.

I like that it is free. And that I can logon to www.catch.com and edit my notes from there (with any computer that has Internet access). Or I can edit the notes on my cell phone. And I can sync the two databases.

Also, I like the "tags" (a simple way to put any note into one, or more "folders"). And I really appreciate the ability to password protect the Catch app on my phone so that no one (except me) can view my Catch notes without the password.

So far I have only used "Text notes". I will explore the other types of notes as needed - - Camera, Gallery, Voice, and Reminder.

Thanks again ! ! !

Reactions: Hipster90
Upvote 0
The problem with Evernote is that you can't access your notes offline, which is, quite frankly, ******ed.

I use NoteEverything (and 3Banana) and I export it regularly. You could set up SugarSync or DropBox to sync your NoteEverything notes regularly to your online account and your PC. Since they are plain text notes, you can open them and edit them on a PC.
yes you can access evernote notes while offline - check out their desktop app

Upvote 0
I read through the thread and didn't see anyone say this, but I'd have to say the pre-loaded stock "Write and go" app on my Samsung Galaxy S is good enough for me lol. Obviously not too fancy, but it does pretty much everything I need from a note taking app: save, send as text, send as email, load to facebook etc.

Just throwing that out haha. I'm more of a calendar and check list task kind of guy anyways.

Upvote 0
I'd also like to say thanks for starting this thread. I've also been looking for the perfect note app and will give a couple of the ones mentioned above a try. I've been a Palm addict since the first Palm Pilot Professional, and I guess I took note capability for granted.
Evernote was perfect for me until I tried to open a doc at my son's football camp - big thumbs down for no offline docs until you buy a monthly subscription. I'm using a rooted Nook color, so offline availability is key.

Well, off to try a few options...

Upvote 0
If you're looking for something "simple" (not what OP wants), I just tried this list maker: https://market.android.com/details?...ions.SoftlightCheckList&feature=order_history

I was a little leery, it being new and no reviews, but I like it better than Color Notes or Melon (or any of the simple notepads out there).

I had a look at this app ... and I have say: It looks like Noodles ;)
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.makeramen.todolist&feature=search_result&hl=en

Harry

Reactions: tcat007
Upvote 0
It's amazing how similar some of these apps are... one guy sees something he likes, tweaks the UI a little, and calls it his own... I guess there's no patents on apps.

edit: OK, just tried this one: http://www.appbrain.com/app/check-and-done/org.haggy.android.checkanddone and it's the one I'm sticking with. Still small and simple (but should be apps2SD), yet very custom.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to find the best note taking app for a specific purpose. I am a home inspector and usually use a clipboard and paper (old school) but want to get into android. I just got a xoom and want to find an app that can make parts of what I want blank (meaning like a PDF, where you can fill in spots with info) on an already pre-made form (that i'd make myself). Not sure where to go, help?

Upvote 0
The only thing that I could suggest is a combination of OneNote and MobileNoter. OneNote is a Microsoft product that is on all 2010 Office variations and 2007 Home & Student and a couple above that. Within that program you'd make the template that you want.

With MobileNoter, you'd be able to access your OneNote files and edit (fill in) your templates and save. There are two versions of MobileNoter for Android. Unfortunately, (for now) I have MobileNoter SE and I can access my files through Dropbox. The unfortunate with SE is that we have yet to be able to edit our files.

The non-SE version allows you to edit, but you can't access them through Dropbox. You do it through either their cloud system or WiFi. The update for SE has been promised for some time in August, but that's also been a promise that seems to get pushed back regularly.

You need what you need now, so from the outside looking in, I'd tell you to make your template (OneNote) and then duplicate the amount of pages you'd need for each day, send it over to your tablet through WiFi (I'm assuming that you wouldn't want your work on their servers.) and then throughout the day, fill in your forms. Rinse and repeat.

Upvote 0
I was looking for a GTD/checklist app and I bumped into an actual home inspection app
Home Inspection Checklist

Some of its features are:
Features :
-Create unlimited checklist.
-Take pictures and comment on any condition of the house or apartment.
-Send pictures and your comments to anyone through e-mail or texting.
-Save and send a CSV Excel data report to be viewed or imported.
-Customize your own inspection list.

I think the last one is of importance to @roadblock

Upvote 0
Found this list: Android Note Taking Apps | note-taking.net

I still haven't found that one perfect note app, and it is frustrating.

It _could_ have been Evernote, except that Evernote makes you pay a yearly fee to get access to your notes on your device while offline. That is annoying.

What I want:
1. Create notes on device.
2. Have notes saved as .txt files on SD Card as opposed to in a database.
3. Automatic/scheduled backup of notes.
4. Auto-sync of notes to the cloud and then to PC.
5. Native desktop application to read and create notes on PC, and which will sync back to the device.
6. Share notes/notebooks with other users, and allow them to contribute to/alter the shared notes.

Like I said, Evernote would be perfect, except that you have to pay for offline access to your notes on your device.

Springpad is close (I prefer notebooks over hast tags used by Catch) but there is no native desktop app, so all my notes reside on Springpad's servers, and not on my PC. That's a big no no. They're my notes.

Catch is close, but again, no native desktop app, and I don't like organizing with tags.

I'm using Note Everything, which is a great all-around note app, but it doesn't sync to desktop, (although you can sync to Google Docs with the pro version), and there is not native desktop app. Also, the files are in a database. You can export to the SD card as text files, but this is a manual step, and it doesn't maintain your notebooks, just dumps all the .txt files in to one folder.

Documents To Go is an option, it saves the docs in Word format, and you can theoretically set it up to sync to Dropbox. DocsToGo also has a standalone sync app that you install on your PC to sync with the device when connected via USB. Of course, this app costs $14.99. It's not perfect, and meant for more hard-core work that note-taking. (It also syncs with Google Docs).

On my PC I use OneNote and I love it. One Note is one of the best Microsoft programs. Sadly there is no official OneNote app for Android, and there probably won't be. Yes, there is a 3rd party app but it doesn't let you create notes/edit notes on the device.

So... Anyone else have any ideas/suggestions that would satisfy the requirements above?

Upvote 0
How do yo add notes to gmail? I use Tasks now and seems to do what I want, since I found "Google Tasks Organizer" which sync well, and organizes better than Tasks does. It has its own "notes" sub-entry, but nothing tied to gmail. I could see how that could be useful.

I want a note app that syncs to gmail notes (auto-push/sync) and has a widget. I had this with the default notes on my iphone (just converted 2days ago). I dont need any other fancyness... just sync to gmail notes. I guess I could convert to google tasks if that gives more versatility, but prefer the notes.

Upvote 0
"Perfect" is the eye of the beholder.... so many note apps. The one that looks most like Awesome Note is: Easy Note + 2do - Android app on AppBrain but does get real good reviews. Keep trying until you find "the right" one!

I still can not find perfect notes app for Android while there are two of perfect ones for iPhone - NoteMaster and Awesome Note!!!

Upvote 0
"the eye of beholder"? I am not a beholder! I really seriously buying and testing Note/Memo apps for both of Android Phone and iPhone. Since I had first got Android Phone starting with Motorolla XT720 in July 2009, I have been using Samsung Galaxy S from Jan 2010, and now Galaxy S2 from this November. Also I have been using iPhone4 and iPad. Yes, there are so many note/memo apps in android world, but it is very hard to find really good one like NoteMaster or Awesome Note in iPhone/iPad. it is true, I think! I bought also Easy Note, but it is just imitation of Awesome Note. It does not have sync feature to GDocs like Awesome Note.
"Perfect" is the eye of the beholder.... so many note apps. The one that looks most like Awesome Note is: Easy Note + 2do - Android app on AppBrain but does get real good reviews. Keep trying until you find "the right" one!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones