1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support App Recognition

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Conor1892, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Conor1892

Conor1892 Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2016
    Male
    I want an app to stop recognising my phone.. I performed a factory reset and as I assumed this would change my device ID and stop the app recognising my phone but seems to remember my phone through my Phone Number or some other method.. Can anyone tell me how I would prevent the app from recognising my phone?? Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Hey Conor, welcome to our AndroidForums :).

What app are you asking about?

Doing a factory reset will wipe-out any of the non-system apps and data that they contained. Re-installing an app and subsequently having it know or remember your device makes it sound like the app is communicating with an outside server that knows your device's id (which is likely unique to your device and would NOT be removed/wiped from a factory reset).

3. Conor1892

Conor1892 Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2016
    Male
    Thanks

Its just a tv streaming app called "HD Subs" which offers a 3 day free trial. I bought the phone 2nd hand off a friend who had already used the app and advised I try it out.. I assumed after the phone was facory reset no app could remember the phone

Is there any way I could stop the app recognising the phone? Have tried rooting and using device id changer but doesn't work.

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Yeah, that kind of app definitely sounds like one that would record your device's ID (that link tells you more than you ever wanted to know about device identification :p).

There are also likely several different semi-unique identifiers that they could be using to cross-reference / identify your device, so, even if you actually knew the/their method, it doesn't sound likely that it is changeable on your device.

5. Conor1892

Conor1892 Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2016
    Male
    Ok thats fine thanks for your help :)

scary alien likes this.