1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

App Recommendation

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by aussj4link, Jan 22, 2014.

1. aussj4link

aussj4link Newbie
    None

Jan 22, 2014
    Hi, I just bought a new phone and data plan and I was wondering if anyone could give me a good recommendation for an app that can monitor and alarm me to when I reach a certain data usage specifically for wifi hotspot. My phone has unlimited data but the hotspot is limited to 6gb. Thanks so much!

Advertisement

2. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    UK
    6gb is huge. Unless you're steaming movies through your hotspot I doubt you'll get anywhere near that.

Call Meter 3G is excellent for usage monitoring but I don't know if it can differentiate between hotspot data & normal mobile data. Come to think of it how does your service provider know what you are using it for?

3. aussj4link

aussj4link Newbie
    None

Jan 22, 2014
    They set it up so only their hotspot app will work for it and it sends them reports of its usage. Yeah I might be using the hotspot a lot as its the only way my other things (xbox, tablet, computer) can connect to the net currently. Also I have 4g, dunno if that matters.

nicka3200 likes this.
  4. gdiddy

gdiddy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2013
    I use to have an app like what you're looking for but it messed me up more than anything because it wouldn't accurately track my data useage...I trusted it...but...then, I went over and got billed for it......so.....just rely on yourself to track that. Sign into your account at your carrier's website and check it daily.

5. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal
    My Data Manager

6. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender
    None

Mar 9, 2012
    Male
    Reno, Nevada
    When I was on a limited data plan, 3G Watch Dog always worked well for me.

3G Watch Dog

aussj4link likes this.
  7. aussj4link

aussj4link Newbie
    None

Jan 22, 2014
    So I somehow managed to use up all 6gb of the hotspot by using it to download a 72mb update for my xbox... after talking with the t-mobile rep for an hour trying to figure out how this is possible I just decided to tell them to drop the hotspot if its gonna be a problem. I think they don't have a way to differentiate normal cell phone data from the hotspot so they were counting my normal use toward it and that's what killed it. So until they get that fixed I'm just gonna go without the hotspot.

8. saptech

saptech Android Expert
    None

T-mobile have an app, My Account, it keeps track of minutes, messages & data, but it doesn't keep track of hotspot data usage, that I know of.

I know you're having a problem with how they keeping track. I just thought I would let you know.