• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

APP REQUEST: Compare installed permissions to what is stated in Market.

sweller

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
With Android becoming a bigger and bigger target, I'm becoming more and more observant of permissions. I have seen examples of the Market permissions not being that same as the permissions on the phone (even with some Google apps). There are many apps that report other app's permissions and attempt to assign a threat or danger level. IMHO - None of these are dangerous. They are what they are. But if the permissions stated in Market don't agree with what's on the phone, that's what gets my attention.

So... I would like to have an app that simply performs a comparison and generates a list of differences.

I was perfectly happy with that knowledge until I ran into the Google apps that contradicted it. I need to go back and see if they fixed them...

Ok. I just checked. Sky Map is <still> one of the offenders. In addition to what Google says on Market, it also wants Storage and Phone Calls.

Verifying this reminds me, though. Android Market is a pretty crappy "app."

Upvote 0
In the Market, under permissions, after selecting Show All, Sky Map (for one) does not state Storage or Phone Calls. On the phone, it does.

Like I said above, it's not a big deal. But it *could* just be the tip of the iceberg. Which is why I would like to have an app that automates the process of comparing declared permissions to actual permissions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones