1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

APP REQUEST: Compare installed permissions to what is stated in Market.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by sweller, Oct 11, 2011.

1. sweller

sweller Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    With Android becoming a bigger and bigger target, I'm becoming more and more observant of permissions. I have seen examples of the Market permissions not being that same as the permissions on the phone (even with some Google apps). There are many apps that report other app's permissions and attempt to assign a threat or danger level. IMHO - None of these are dangerous. They are what they are. But if the permissions stated in Market don't agree with what's on the phone, that's what gets my attention.

So... I would like to have an app that simply performs a comparison and generates a list of differences.

Advertisement

2. mills2533

mills2533 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 21, 2010
    Colorado (USA)
    That's interesting because the market gets those permissions straight from the Android Manifest file that is in every application. The permissions are not an optional selection by the developer.

3. sweller

sweller Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    I was perfectly happy with that knowledge until I ran into the Google apps that contradicted it. I need to go back and see if they fixed them...

Ok. I just checked. Sky Map is <still> one of the offenders. In addition to what Google says on Market, it also wants Storage and Phone Calls.

Verifying this reminds me, though. Android Market is a pretty crappy "app."

4. brennasoft

brennasoft Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    Make sure you are pressing the show all button in the Market under permissions. If there are a lot of permissions it won't show them all in the view.

5. sweller

sweller Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    In the Market, under permissions, after selecting Show All, Sky Map (for one) does not state Storage or Phone Calls. On the phone, it does.

Like I said above, it's not a big deal. But it *could* just be the tip of the iceberg. Which is why I would like to have an app that automates the process of comparing declared permissions to actual permissions.