• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

APP Request: DVORAK Keyboard

Durf

Oct 24, 2008
There is a couple guys at work, read OLD Guys haha, who really love my phone but both said they would buy one if I ever see an app for dvorak switching. I personally don't get it. :thinking:It's not like you can touch type on this thing anyway but I promised I'd post this.

Oddly enough, I am faster at hunt-and-peck on a QWERTY than I am on a Dvorak -- and I've been touch typing on Dvorak exclusively for several years. :p If your old mates are not like that, there certainly is something for them!

There is the Dvorak Keyboard, but I think it's not been actively developed for some time and might no longer be available in the market.

AnySoftKeyboard has a Alternative English Layouts pack with a Dvorak layout.

Good luck! :D

Upvote 0
There is a couple guys at work, read OLD Guys haha, who really love my phone but both said they would buy one if I ever see an app for dvorak switching. I personally don't get it. :thinking:It's not like you can touch type on this thing anyway but I promised I'd post this.

Hi-Just joined the forum,having got myself an Android ARCHOS tablet..I'm curious about Dvorak,and would like to try an app if a useful one were available..Randy Cassingham (This is True Author) rates Dvorak highly,would just like to see if it would work for Me!

Upvote 0
I have an idea for a dvorak program, but I don't know how to write it. Since any hardware keyboard plugged into android is only qwerty, even with a dvorak softkeyboard installed, I thought to try something different.

Instead of changing the layout, it would just intercept what is typed on the hard keyboard and convert it to dvorak. For example if I were to press " ; " on a standard qwerty board, the program would intercept it before it got to any text box/area, replace it with an "s" instead, and put that in the text box.

I don't know how to write the actual program, but I did write a bit of pseudo code for it. It's just a select case statement really that examines which letter was pressed and replaces it with the correct letter.

If anybody wants to write it, it seems like it would be a simple program to write. I tried to work with eclipse but it's just too badly designed.

if I could root my tablet, it would be easy to change the qwerty.kl to a dvorak layout, but rooting is more and more difficult all the time.

the "pseudocode" This is for no modifier keys. I also made one for Shift and Capslock and shift+capslock.

Select Case Key
#Comment - Number Row Key changes
- = change to [
= = change to ]
#Comment - Top Row Key changes
q = change to '
w = change to ,
e = change to .
r = change to p
t = change to y
y = change to f
u = change to g
i = change to c
o = change to r
p = change to l
[ = change to /
] = change to =
#Comment - Middle Row Key changes
#Comment - A = A Same in Dvorak as Qwerty Handled by the Else
s = change to o
d = change to e
f = change to u
g = change to i
h = change to d
j = change to h
k = change to t
l = change to n
; = change to s
' = change to -
#Comment - Bottom Row Key changes
z = change to ;
x = change to q
c = change to j
v = change to k
b = change to x
n = change to b
#Comment - M = M Same in Dvorak as Qwerty Handled by the Else
, = change to w
. = change to v
/ = change to z
else
#Comment - For keys that are the same in Dvorak as in Qwerty
pressed key = pressed key
end case

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones