• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App Request: Turn Android Phone Into Wi-Fi HotSpot

I don't really see the point in this when the phone can do almost all the task I need to accomplish on the internet. No one needs a large pc or laptop to reply to an email or load a web page when you have the g1. And on top of it all; whos going to play counterstrike with the phone as a modem?

I don't either, carlos, and it probably will get the people involved "capped" by tmobile for using too many megabytes in a month -- but some people are kinda fanatical about tethering, it's best to just shrug and move on.:p

Upvote 0
I don't really see the point in this when the phone can do almost all the task I need to accomplish on the internet. No one needs a large pc or laptop to reply to an email or load a web page when you have the g1. And on top of it all; whos going to play counterstrike with the phone as a modem?

There are SOOOOO many things out there that people don't need. But they want them and can use them. If they cap out? So what. Let them cap out. This would be a really cool app for business needs. If you are in a meeting and need a little mini network, a wifi router can be used as a nice HUB for the internet and whatnot.

This would be an awesome app. I could see something really stable being put onto Android. The WMwifi router was always buggy and didn't seem to work well on my Dash. I'm sure they've improved it 10 fold since I used it though.

Upvote 0

If you're trying to tell me the browsing experience on a laptop isn't better than on a G1, you're lying. 15" screen, 3" screen, there's a big difference. Not to mention, this would make it possible to give internet access to MULTIPLE laptops, not just 1 via tethering.

Upvote 0
I don't either, carlos, and it probably will get the people involved "capped" by tmobile for using too many megabytes in a month -- but some people are kinda fanatical about tethering, it's best to just shrug and move on.:p

Don't be so ignorant as to assume everyone is using Android on T-Mobile. I hate T-Mobile, their coverage is awful, their 3G coverage is nonexistent, I don't know why ANYONE would pay for their service.

Upvote 0
Don't be so ignorant as to assume everyone is using Android on T-Mobile. I hate T-Mobile, their coverage is awful, their 3G coverage is nonexistent, I don't know why ANYONE would pay for their service.

Why, T-Mobile? Let's see...
- Almost 9 years and not one significant problem
- NO billing errors
- Friendly and responsive customer service (they've won awards, btw)
- Reasonable prices
- Only getting better from there

I'm in the Chicago area, and the 3G service is EVERYWHERE, and sorry, in 9 years I've not had a coverage problem. So don't tell me it's nonexistent. I realize you're exaggerating to make a point, but for someone like me who never has an issue getting a 3G signal, you just look like a fool.

Upvote 0
Why, T-Mobile? Let's see...
- Almost 9 years and not one significant problem
- NO billing errors
- Friendly and responsive customer service (they've won awards, btw)
- Reasonable prices
- Only getting better from there

I'm in the Chicago area, and the 3G service is EVERYWHERE, and sorry, in 9 years I've not had a coverage problem. So don't tell me it's nonexistent. I realize you're exaggerating to make a point, but for someone like me who never has an issue getting a 3G signal, you just look like a fool.

Oh okay, well, I have 2 places of residence... One is in New York City, so no shit I get 3G coverage with any carrier you can find in the area. The second is 40 miles out of Boston, borders a city with a population of 105,000 and has a population in itself of around 30,000. Not the boonies, far from it. AT&T gets 3-5 bars in my basement consistently, 3G everywhere you go, no problem at all. T-Mobile? Oh yeah, if I were to drive 1/10th of a mile down the road I'd be in the "white zone" according to their coverage map, no coverage at all. My house itself, and every place that is covered around there, is in the "1 bar" area, and 3G is represented by a dark green dot maybe the size of a football field that shows up every quarter mile or so. You're right, you're right, because it's good for YOU it must be good for everyone. Do you travel at all? Oh, okay, you don't. Let's see, where have I gotten 3G coverage... Albany, NYC, Boston, Atlanta, San Diego, San Francisco... In fact, I'm planning on moving to SF in a matter of months. How's your coverage there? Oh, you don't know? What's that, your overall 3G markets are 1/15th as much as my network? I don't see how I look foolish by stating the facts, THE COVERAGE IS SUBPAR COMPARED TO AT&T AND VERIZON. End of story.

Upvote 0
I get very good 3G net coverage, I rarely go without it. I live in Arizona btw.

I love Tmoble. Tell me where else can you get this package for the price that i have
3 cell lines
500 minutes
unlimited night and weekend
Unlimited text/pix on all 3 lines
unlimited web to the line with G1

$85 a month.

And I never have service issues.
Oh okay, well, I have 2 places of residence... One is in New York City, so no shit I get 3G coverage with any carrier you can find in the area. The second is 40 miles out of Boston, borders a city with a population of 105,000 and has a population in itself of around 30,000. Not the boonies, far from it. AT&T gets 3-5 bars in my basement consistently, 3G everywhere you go, no problem at all. T-Mobile? Oh yeah, if I were to drive 1/10th of a mile down the road I'd be in the "white zone" according to their coverage map, no coverage at all. My house itself, and every place that is covered around there, is in the "1 bar" area, and 3G is represented by a dark green dot maybe the size of a football field that shows up every quarter mile or so. You're right, you're right, because it's good for YOU it must be good for everyone. Do you travel at all? Oh, okay, you don't. Let's see, where have I gotten 3G coverage... Albany, NYC, Boston, Atlanta, San Diego, San Francisco... In fact, I'm planning on moving to SF in a matter of months. How's your coverage there? Oh, you don't know? What's that, your overall 3G markets are 1/15th as much as my network? I don't see how I look foolish by stating the facts, THE COVERAGE IS SUBPAR COMPARED TO AT&T AND VERIZON. End of story.

Sucks for you.

Upvote 0
I get very good 3G net coverage, I rarely go without it. I live in Arizona btw.

I love Tmoble. Tell me where else can you get this package for the price that i have
3 cell lines
500 minutes
unlimited night and weekend
Unlimited text/pix on all 3 lines
unlimited web to the line with G1

$85 a month.

And I never have service issues.

Sucks for you.

Funny, there's no plan like that on their site. If you have a plan that's no longer available, it's not really fair to compare it to plans from other carriers available now. If we wanted to bring Sprint SERO to question, every other carrier looks ridiculously priced.

Upvote 0
I assume you mean to use the 3G for internet connection, and then share it through the WiFi connection to other devices, right?

Has anyone actually measured the speed of the 3G connection? I am currently getting 1.25 MB/s downstream and 0.60 MB/s upstream.

So, I doubt you're talking for video and such....which means basic stuff like email maybe a little web browsing....

[sarcasm]Oh yeah, our phone can do that....[/sarcasm]

OK, seriously, if the phone can support it, then having an app for this for those just in case situations is not a bad idea....but I think it would be better to know if the hardware can support it first, right?

Upvote 0
There are SOOOOO many things out there that people don't need. But they want them and can use them. If they cap out? So what. Let them cap out. This would be a really cool app for business needs. If you are in a meeting and need a little mini network, a wifi router can be used as a nice HUB for the internet and whatnot.

This would be an awesome app. I could see something really stable being put onto Android. The WMwifi router was always buggy and didn't seem to work well on my Dash. I'm sure they've improved it 10 fold since I used it though.

there would be so many opportunities if u can make ur phone a hotspot nokia phone are able to do it u can be on the internet where ever on ur laptop if u have an ipod touch u can use that a psp u can be online will riding the bus or just sitting down so many things it would really be useful i hope someone make it soon

Upvote 0
I would also like an app like this for when I'm travelling. Normally I have 1 or 2 colleagues with me and it would be great to hook everyone up so email can be sent/received etc. I don't think there is much point if only one laptop is to be connected as you can just tether it normally.

I know you can send/receive email on your phone but there are some things you can't do on your phone which need to be done on a laptop, its then easier to email straight from the laptop rather than transferring attachments to your phone and then emailing them that way.

I could also use it for connecting my PSP too! as its a pain to connect this up to a hotel wifi network.

Upvote 0
+1 ! I don't care how much you can do with a phone. Until they include a full-size screen and keyboard (I'm thinking one day with some sci-fi holographic stuff), then being able to access internet on your laptop anywhere is a great thing!

Tethering is not the same. Tethering is using phone as a modem that is directly connected to your computer (I'm thinking that even a wifi tether is the same, or maybe as some kind of wifi bridge were it passes its public IP to your computer). Your computer gets a public IP and worse the connection to the phone often takes some third party application or drivers on the computer's side (which is especially sucky if your an Ubuntu user like me). An app that would make it a wifi hotspot would make the phone both modem and wireless router you're computer will connect to the phone using a standard wifi connection (and you can share it if you want to). We should bring this request back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones