• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App similar to Titanium Backup for root?

Fadelight

Android Expert
Oct 29, 2009
Mulberry, FL
I currently use Titanium Backup, but it is growing tiring to have to sit there and man the phone while I am restoring apps, so now I am looking for another app that will restore apps and data without having to choose each app individually.

I know most people will say "Just buy the donate version". Unfortunately that is not an option for me. Why not? Because the dev doesn't offer the donate version in Market, nor does he offer a donate through google checkout. His donation is paypal only, and due to some recent VERY bad experiences with paypal, I have closed out my account and I refuse to ever use paypal again.

So... what options am I left with? I've been poking around market for a while now, but it seems like every other backup I can find is for personal data only... not apps.

I currently use Titanium Backup, but it is growing tiring to have to sit there and man the phone while I am restoring apps, so now I am looking for another app that will restore apps and data without having to choose each app individually.

I know most people will say "Just buy the donate version". Unfortunately that is not an option for me. Why not? Because the dev doesn't offer the donate version in Market, nor does he offer a donate through google checkout. His donation is paypal only, and due to some recent VERY bad experiences with paypal, I have closed out my account and I refuse to ever use paypal again.

So... what options am I left with? I've been poking around market for a while now, but it seems like every other backup I can find is for personal data only... not apps.

I was hesitant to register using PayPal but had my license within minutes. Titanium is the only app of it's type that meets my needs. The developer has been responsive and has added features I suggested after just 1 email. The batch mode makes it more that worth it. I understand you concern but I and countless others have had a positive experience. Have you written the developer to see if he can suggest any other payment options?

Upvote 0
I was hesitant to register using PayPal but had my license within minutes. Titanium is the only app of it's type that meets my needs. The developer has been responsive and has added features I suggested after just 1 email. The batch mode makes it more that worth it. I understand you concern but I and countless others have had a positive experience. Have you written the developer to see if he can suggest any other payment options?

My lack of willingness to use paypal has nothing to do with the developer. It is purely an issue with paypal. I just plain refuse to use paypal for anything, regardless of what it is. If the dev had another way to donate that didn't involve paypal, I would be all over it in a heartbeat. Its a long story, but lets just say I lost a lot of money because paypal refused to help me when I had an issue with an unauthorized transaction. Twice. I finally gave up fighting to get them to block it and just canceled my account... which was also a 3 week fight. I'll never open another paypal account.

Upvote 0
My lack of willingness to use paypal has nothing to do with the developer. It is purely an issue with paypal. I just plain refuse to use paypal for anything, regardless of what it is. If the dev had another way to donate that didn't involve paypal, I would be all over it in a heartbeat. Its a long story, but lets just say I lost a lot of money because paypal refused to help me when I had an issue with an unauthorized transaction. Twice. I finally gave up fighting to get them to block it and just canceled my account... which was also a 3 week fight. I'll never open another paypal account.

Ditto that on Paypal.

scott

Upvote 0
This forum has been pretty good to Joel in promoting Titanium. Why don't you write him, let him know you are a guide here, explain your situation, and see if he will cut you some slack?

That's actually a pretty good idea, although I'm not sue what other way there is to get the money to him. I wonder why he doesn't just put the donate version in maket.

Upvote 0
That's actually a pretty good idea, although I'm not sue what other way there is to get the money to him. I wonder why he doesn't just put the donate version in maket.

I remember a while back he mentioned a problem I think due to his location and the market (he is located in Switzerland). Can't you go to his PayPal link page and enter your billing info without actually joining PayPal?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones