1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[App suggestion] Service to redirect MMS to email or app

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ravenfollower, Jan 10, 2014.

1. ravenfollower

ravenfollower Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2014
    Hi there!

I recently got a smart phone (HTC One) and am quite enjoying it. One issue that I'd like to work around is that although I have a plan for SMS messages, I have to pay for every MMS message I receive. Note that in my case this mostly includes non-media messages that are simply sent to multiple people.

I'd like to avoid receiving these messages directly to my phone and instead have them come through email or an app that will use the data portion of my phone plan instead. I still want to see the messages, so I'm not interested in a message blocker. An alternative would be to convert them to SMS and send them to my phone.

I know that Google Voice can sometimes do something like this, but I've read that that may only work with certain carriers. Are there any services like it out there that are Verizon-friendly?

Thank you in advance!

PS Please let me know if I'm completely off-base regarding Google Voice being restricted to specific carriers.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    If the sender selects to send messages longer than 160 characters as MMS, that's how they're sent. You can't "redirect" them until you receive them - which defeats your purpose. Ask your friends to select to send them as multiple texts instead.

It's a sending thing, not a receiving thing.

3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You can get a Google Voice number and give that out to people and have that number on your device. I did it for awhile, the cool thing with MMS over Google Voice is they can be opened without Data on, just over Wifi. This can work as you will just use the Google Voice number for everything and have your Verizon number there as the number being forwarded to when they call.