1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

app suggestion

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Fairlight64, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Fairlight64

Fairlight64 Lurker

Hello, i know many of you have seen many forum posts of people asking if there is a way to make more RAM for android phones.
    However all the answers around suggest nothing but regular task managers.
    it is obvious that one simply CANNOT expand RAM due to the physical properties of the firmware.
    i have been thinking that the best solution would be a task manager that not only does it kill apps, but stops them from popping altogether from authorization of the user.
    this would specially benefit people whose phones are low end and refuse to root to remove company bloatware and phones that have a very poor performance due to company policies with their devices.

if you think this is a good idea, comment so we can further discuss.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

It seems what you are asking is if it is possible to make your phone perform better. You are assuming that if you can add more RAM, it can make the phone faster. The physical and software limitations of phones make it impossible for anyone to just add more RAM to a phone. Since adding RAM is not an option, you want to know if you can make better use out of the existing RAM on phones.

The way Android OS works is that it tries to load apps and services into RAM in anticipation of your needing those apps and services in the near future. If you use an app that is already loaded into RAM, it will launch faster and make the phone feel more reponsive than if it hasn't been already loaded. Android makes the best guess at the apps and services to load into RAM.

There are task managers available for download. However, using a task manager may actually cause the phone to perform worse. Task managers interfere with Android OS's memory management. The net effect is that it confuses Android OS and cause it to make poorer use of system resources if you use a task manager to autokill tasks. Android OS may attempt to start up tasks that a task manager kills. The task manager kills it and then it gets started again, etc. For this reason, I highly recommend against using task managers to auto kill tasks.

Older phones will simply be slower and newer versions of Android or its apps may require more system resources. I use an older phone on occasion because it is unlocked. I find I just have to accept the fact that my older phone is just slower than my current phone.

The only suggestion I have is to just do less with your older phone. Try not to use any widgets. Sometimes you have to just use a number of apps and there really isn't much you can do other than removing apps and widgets to improve the performance of older phones.

3. steiny180

steiny180 Android Enthusiast

I had the same memory issues.

1. Get this app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.appbackup

2. Backup all installed files to your EXTERNAL sd card.

3. Uninstall apps you don't frequently use. You can always reinstall them in the future from the archived section of the above app.

4. Uninstall the memory hogging google play store app. You'll still be able to access the store. Go figure... I've done this on my L38C.

5. Whenever I try and download a play store app and it tells me I have insufficient memory, I uninstall a large app(s) I'm not using until I have enough memory to download the app.

6. I then move the downloaded app to internal memory. If the app can't be moved to internal memory, I uninstall it and look for a similar app which can be moved to internal memory.

7. After moving the newly downloaded app, I then reinstall the app(s) which I uninstalled in step 5, using the archived section of the App Backup and Restore app linked above.

No more memory problems.

I love my little $20 L38C !!!...

I hope this helps.

-Dave