1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

App Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by trparky, Jun 11, 2011.

1. trparky

trparky Android Enthusiast
    None

What suggestions do you have for a "Find my Phone" app?

I must admit that I have an iPhone 4 right now but have plans on getting dumping it along with AT&T (American Thieves & Thugs) in the next two months.

I plan on jumping ship to Verizon and getting the Thunderbolt.

I like the ability for the app to interface with a web site much like the iPhone's version of "Find my Phone" so that I don't have to mess with convoluted SMS messages and whatnot. Being able to send commands to it via a web site would be the best option.

Also... how is the music played on the Thunderbolt? I have some iTunes music that I've bought over the years. Apparently I can use the same music files on the Thunderbolt and have it play on that. Any suggestions on a good music player app?

I'm just doing a lot of research. I like to do my "homework" before I buy anything.

Advertisement

2. Usta

Usta Android Expert

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
  3. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
  4. trparky

None

I found an app called iHound. Interesting.

5. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    I use two different apps.

WheresMyDroid lets you do two things.
    1) You can send a secret (user defined) text message to the lost phone which will have the phone turn on its GPS and send back a text message containing a Google Maps link to it's location, including the address if available.
    2) You can send a secret (user defined) text message to the lost phone which will cause the phone to turn up it's ringer to full volume and then ring loudly.

So for example, if you lost the phone on the ski slopes, you could borrow a friend's smartphone and send a text to your phone in order to poinpoint where it is on a map. Then, once you get near to it you could send a text to your phone to make it ring loudly so that you can find it.

Lookout Mobile Security is primarily an antivirus program (and that's why I loaded it), but it also has the benefit of being able to:
    1) Log onto Lookout's website and track the phone on a map.
    2) Log onto Lookout's websiste and ring the phone with a loud, irritating alarm

6. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal
    Seekdroid 99 cents with no AV junk.

7. trparky

None

Got the Droid Charge on Verizon before the Unlimited Data Plans went bye-bye. So far, I'm happy except for a few bugs with the web browser.

Anyways... more questions about app suggestions.

I used an app called "WalkMeter" on the iPhone. It was an app that tracked how far you walked, tracked on the map via GPS, etc. Any suggestions on an Android app for this?

Also... is there any way to check for updates to your apps and download all of the updates all at once?

8. thatperson

thatperson Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 4, 2011
    Corry, Pa
    For the GPS, you might want to look at My Tracks from Google, it works with Google Maps.

For updating apps, open the market, hit the menu button, then the My Apps button. If there is something that needs updated it will appear.

9. trparky

None

I did find DoubleTwist which turns out to be a damn good media player along with allowing me to sync/transfer media between my computer and my phone wirelessly via my home Wifi connection. That's pretty damn cool.

Thanks on the My Tracks app suggestion. Looks like it does exactly what I want it to do.

10. trparky

None

Alright... another question about a suggestion for an app.

An app that places your car on a map and tracks you via GPS to tell if you if you are getting closer to it.

I found this app but is there anything better than that? Do you like it? Have you used it before?