• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] TextOnly Browser - Easy way to read articles/news & Less data usage

Shans

Jan 8, 2011
Chennai

TextOnly
is a browser which displays only text from a webpage by stripping out other unwanted content from the Webpages.

Features:
--- Easier way to read articles of any website
--- Strips out unwanted content
--- Less data usage for users
--- Takes less time to load articles
--- Multiple modes of input (URL, RSS or Twitter URL)
--- supports more than 80% of websites
--- Articles would be listed in a simple format
--- Less data usage for website owners as the sites are cached in the database from our end for every 1 hr (Lower hosting costs)

Supported Websites:All except few which has been badly coded in HTML..If you are not able to see the list of articles from the site use either RSS feed of the site or Twitter URL (E.g The New York Times (nytimes) on Twitter)

How to Use?

Step 1:

You can enter any of these (Example for NewYork Times)

a) Website URL - E.g http://www.nytimes.com
b) RSS Feed - E.g NYT > Home Page
c) Twitter Feed - E.g The New York Times (nytimes) on Twitter

Step 2:
Once you click on Go in the home screen ,List of articles would be displayed in the next screen

Step 3:
Clicking on the article will load the content in next screen devoid of any ads or css or images.:)

For some of the sites click on Read more page on the last screen would display the full content of the site.

Future Plans:
a) Ad System for website owners so that they can insert own text link ads in the content that is being displayed (2 or 3 depending upon the size of content) .So this can be a good source of revenue for them too..

b) I plan to use this on my another app PlayText which lets you to play content as audio on android (It currently supports 8 sites)..So that people can have a different and better browsing experience by listening to content.(I am currently doing testing on it)

Download TextOnly from here : https://market.android.com/details?id=com.spacenext.textonly

Screenshots
textonly5.png

textonly7.png

textonly8.png

textonly9.png

textonly10.png

textonly11.png

Please give your constructive criticism so that I can improve my app further..I hope my app would be beneficial to all of us..

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones