1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

App that lets me receive SMS only during daytime?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by corvid783, May 11, 2011.

1. corvid783

corvid783 Lurker
    None

May 11, 2011
    I know there are blacklist apps out there that block texts entirely... but are there any that let you 'time' the receiving of SMS? (I'd like to just receive all my texts in batches after work hours, or something similar.)

Thanks!!

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Tasker can do this I think.

3. tater_salad

tater_salad Member
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Western NY
    I don't think tasker can do this.. It can't hold your texts / stop your texts.. it can stop your notifications.. or respond back with "I'm at work" but it don't think there's a way to hold texts unless there's a plugin.

4. MichaelJMurphy

None

Jan 29, 2011
    College Proffesor
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    It sounds like you are trying to work around the structure of the SMS portion of you wireless plan and this will not work. Even if you found an app that would queue up your SMS messages until XX PM and then deliver them to you at that time, as far as you wireless carrier would be concerned you would have (or a proxy operating on your behalf) recieved those SMS messages at the time they were originally sent to you. Best of luck.

5. Marvintheparanoid

Marvintheparanoid Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2010
    I'm agreeing with this.

What you are asking is similar to 'how can I stop people calling me during the day?' The answer is 'you cannot'.

What you can do is hide the notifications during the work day, but you will have to use your self control not to open/read the messages during that time.

6. corvid783

corvid783 Lurker
    None

May 11, 2011
    Thanks. No, I'm not trying to get around my wireless plan--I'd just rather be able to treat my texts the same way I do my email (check once a day, and remain blissfully ignorant the rest of the time). I have a lot of text-happy friends and colleagues, and the constant interrupt/ambient awareness can turn into a timesuck.

I'd just turn the phone off, but I need it on for emergency calls and navigation.

I'd be complete happy with an app that received the texts whenever they were sent, then kept them tucked away invisible till a pre-set time. Doesn't sound like anything like this exists, though.

7. corvid783

corvid783 Lurker
    None

May 11, 2011
    True, but there are call-blocking apps and services that let you send most callers straight to voicemail. I use those liberally.

I have VERY little self-control (see also: variable reinforcement) when it comes to texts, which is exactly why I'm looking for this kind of app. :)

8. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    This is because app-level blocking doesn't prevent the delivery of SMS. An app can't block an SMS that hasn't been received by the device. Additionally, blocked SMS messages don't get deferred. They're just blocked.

Try setting up a schedule for your notifications instead.

Good luck in finding a solution. I'm not aware of any off the top of my head.

You could switch to Google Voice and disable sync for the times that you don't want to receive messages but it seems like a lot of trouble IMO.

Of course you can't prevent callers from calling but there are more options to deal with unwanted calls than there are to defer SMS.

9. costmo0926

costmo0926 Lurker
    None

Jan 31, 2012
    I know that this is kind of an old post, but I recently downloaded an app that will do something like that. I use it for close to the same thing and it's called Text Safely:

https://market.android.com/details?...result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5jaGljaDEyIl0.

10. ElGato

ElGato Lurker
    None

May 1, 2012
    Try EasyProfiles. It will allow no notifications by timing but will allow VIPs to get through. Great app.

11. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    business owner
    SoCal
    It can do the next best thing. A Tasker profile that enables airplane mode will have the effect of disabling SMS. Of course, it will disable all data-dependent functions as well... Web access, email, etc.