1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General App that reads sms

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nunya Biznas, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Nunya Biznas

Nunya Biznas Lurker
    None

Mar 26, 2016
    Male
    Just got an S7 for SWMBO and myself. She has a newer GMC with intellilink and my truck has nothing. We both had Moto Xs prior to this.
    The Motos automatically detected when driving (Moto Assist) and would notify you of new SMS or incoming call. You could verbally answer call or have SMS read to you. You could also verbally reply to SMS w/o touching the phone.
    I can't find a similar app for the S7. I don't need a 'driving' app that requires the display to be on since both cars have working speedos.
    Any app that will notify of new SMS, ask to read it, and let me verbally reply?

Advertisement

2. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Believe it or not, okay Google will automatically do that with voice command's. You can ask it to read your last SMS and it will not only read it to you but allow you to verbally respond and send your reply.
    You could also use apps – Tasker and/or MacroDroid to write macros that can create that capability.

Livin_in_the_desert likes this.
  3. Nunya Biznas

Nunya Biznas Lurker
    None

Mar 26, 2016
    Male
    I just installed Agent and I am having the same problem I had with other apps I tried:
    It asks me if I want to reply then almost instantly says 'didn't catch that'.
    Is there some setting for the speed of response?

4. Livin_in_the_desert

None

Mar 28, 2016
    Male
    Snakeyeskm, I haven't been able to find where to ask okay Google to read my last SMS and be able to respond to that text. Could you provide the path that leads to the functionality?
    TIA,
    Rip

5. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Here are the steps.

I say "Okay Google"
    when Google chirps –
    I say "read my last message"
    Google responds along the lines of "you have one last text message it's from-----. Do you want to hear it?"
    My response "yes"
    Google reads the full message and at the end askd me the option to reply to it or repeat it.
    I can then dictate my response and send it.

Do you need help in setting up okay Google on your phone?

tube517 likes this.
  6. Livin_in_the_desert

None

Mar 28, 2016
    Male
    I said "ok Google", got the chirp and said "read my last message". It responded "I couldn't find any" and text on the screen said No messages found. Any ideas?

7. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Are you using an aftermarket message app? I am using the built-in messages app.

Try this – go to Settings and search for Permissions. In App permissions tap on SMS. In the window that opens up make sure that Google app slider is on.
    Just to be sure ,go to Application manager and scroll to Google app and make sure that it has the appropriate permission for SMS

#7 Snakeyeskm, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Livin_in_the_desert likes this.
  8. Livin_in_the_desert

None

Mar 28, 2016
    Male
    Snakeyeskm, that was the problem. I was using Textra so I removed it and made Samsung Messages my default and now it's reading back the last message just as you described. Thank you so much for the help.

9. Livin_in_the_desert

None

Mar 28, 2016
    Male
    So now that my messages are being read back to me, is there a method to launching the Okay Google functionality without having to physically press the key to wake up the phone first?

10. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US

You bet. Go to Settings/Lock screen and security/Secure locks settings/Smart lock (enter PIN)/Trusted voice and make sure the appropriate sliders are turned on. You can also use this screen to retrain your "okay Google" voice if you need to.

By the way, just in case you haven't tried it. In addition to making calls, you can: –
    – turn on/off Wi-Fi/Bluetooth etc.
    – check voicemail
    – work with Hangouts
    – send an email
    – post to Google plus
    – book a table at a restaurant
    – work with several different programs ranging form Shazam to Viber etc.

#10 Snakeyeskm, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    jason359 likes this.
  11. Livin_in_the_desert

None

Mar 28, 2016
    Male
    I turned on all three sliders in Trusted Voice and retrained my voice model. The phone still will not respond when it's locked. I have to push either the Home Key or the Lock Key in order for OK Google to respond. It will not respond when the screen is completely black. Thoughts?

12. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    There are tools apps, Tasker and MacroDroid that can help you solve the problem in a situation by situation basis. Tasker is more powerful but has a steep learning curve while MacroDroid should meet all your needs and is far simpler to work with. Neither requires rooting. With either of them you could do several automatic actions, for example: –

you have your phone in your car dock. You can very easily set up a macro that would do the following.
    As long as the phone is in the car dock it will keep the display on. This would allow you to use Google throughout your drive.

You could replace within the macro, the car dock with that static home dock (charger plugged in) to achieve the same results while at home. Once again okay Google will work fine.

You could create a button widget within MacroDroid that will not let your phone lock till you press another button widget etc. etc.

You seem like someone who would like to push the boundaries of android and I would strongly suggest you start playing with MacroDroid. I use about 7 or 8 macros that have become indispensable. Here is a excellent example that has actually worked for me.

If someone finds/steals your phone, after 2 failed attempts to bypass the lock screen the phone automatically does the following.

Silently activates the front and rear camera and takes a picture. Then it uses the location (if the location system is on) or the cell tower to identify the location of the phone. It then emails the photos and the location immediately to my email. It also sends a text with the same information to my wife's phone.
    No one stole my phone, but I left it at a friends place and I got an email and text with the picture of my friends ugly bratty teenager trying to unlock my phone.

You could easily set up a macro to have the phone automatically read out your text messages after receiving them. You could limit the readout to specific names etc. etc. etc.

13. Livin_in_the_desert

None

Mar 28, 2016
    Male
    I appreciate your suggestions. I'll definitely look into MacroDroid. Thx again, Rip

14. G671

G671 Newbie
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    So, if I'm using Verizon Messages (Message+), instead of Samsung Messges, I can't have my texts read to me, or send my responses by voice? This is my first phone with this capability, and I'm having a hard time setting this up.

15. Rich_NY

Rich_NY Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    OK GOOGLE does not work from lock screen. I've set the correct settings numerous times......It stops working always. It works maybe once, after I retrain voice for the millionth time.....sand make sure settings are correct, trusted voice, use from any screen, etc.

16. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert
    None

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    Ok google is blocked from the lock screen deliberately for "security" reasons in Marshmallow.

17. Rich_NY

None

Apr 21, 2011
    SO RIDICULOUS

18. Rich_NY

None

Apr 21, 2011
    Boy do I miss Moto Assist.

19. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Here's what I've been doing to get around this issue. Far from a perfect solution, but works for me.

In secure locations (home, office, car) I use the Smart lock/Trusted devices & places to prevent the phone from locking. The display will still shut off as usual saving power. I include my Bluetooth headset and car Bluetooth as trusted devices. This allows me to use verbal command's in these key locations. If I'm outside these relatively secure locations the Bluetooth headset keeps my phone from locking. At home or office the Wi-Fi signal backs up the Bluetooth in keeping the phone on. In the car it's Bluetooth does the same.

Once these trusted devices and places are initially set up, you really don't need to make any changes.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.