1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

App that reads sms

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nunya Biznas, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Nunya Biznas

Nunya Biznas Lurker

Just got an S7 for SWMBO and myself. She has a newer GMC with intellilink and my truck has nothing. We both had Moto Xs prior to this.
    The Motos automatically detected when driving (Moto Assist) and would notify you of new SMS or incoming call. You could verbally answer call or have SMS read to you. You could also verbally reply to SMS w/o touching the phone.
    I can't find a similar app for the S7. I don't need a 'driving' app that requires the display to be on since both cars have working speedos.
    Any app that will notify of new SMS, ask to read it, and let me verbally reply?

2. Nunya Biznas

Nunya Biznas Lurker

I just installed Agent and I am having the same problem I had with other apps I tried:
    It asks me if I want to reply then almost instantly says 'didn't catch that'.
    Is there some setting for the speed of response?

3. Snakeyeskm, I haven't been able to find where to ask okay Google to read my last SMS and be able to respond to that text. Could you provide the path that leads to the functionality?
    TIA,
    Rip

4. I said "ok Google", got the chirp and said "read my last message". It responded "I couldn't find any" and text on the screen said No messages found. Any ideas?

5. Snakeyeskm, that was the problem. I was using Textra so I removed it and made Samsung Messages my default and now it's reading back the last message just as you described. Thank you so much for the help.

6. So now that my messages are being read back to me, is there a method to launching the Okay Google functionality without having to physically press the key to wake up the phone first?

7. I turned on all three sliders in Trusted Voice and retrained my voice model. The phone still will not respond when it's locked. I have to push either the Home Key or the Lock Key in order for OK Google to respond. It will not respond when the screen is completely black. Thoughts?

8. I appreciate your suggestions. I'll definitely look into MacroDroid. Thx again, Rip

9. G671

G671 Newbie

So, if I'm using Verizon Messages (Message+), instead of Samsung Messges, I can't have my texts read to me, or send my responses by voice? This is my first phone with this capability, and I'm having a hard time setting this up.

10. Rich_NY

Rich_NY Well-Known Member

OK GOOGLE does not work from lock screen. I've set the correct settings numerous times......It stops working always. It works maybe once, after I retrain voice for the millionth time.....sand make sure settings are correct, trusted voice, use from any screen, etc.

11. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert

Ok google is blocked from the lock screen deliberately for "security" reasons in Marshmallow.

12. Rich_NY

SO RIDICULOUS

13. Rich_NY

Boy do I miss Moto Assist.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S7 release date was March 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 8890 Octa processor, and 3000mAh battery.

March 2016
Release Date
Reviews