• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App that shuts off GPS (Location) on Android

m_groen

Mar 16, 2015
I am looking for app that fullfills following requirements:

1. It checks if GPS is enabled.
2. The app runcs continiously in the background;
3. The app has a setting: it should be able to create/edit an list of apps.
4. The app has a setting: interval to check item 1 (every x minutes);
5. The app shuts off GPS if GPS is switched ON AND there is no app active listed at the list in req 3.
6. The app leaves GPS on if GPS is switched ON AND one or more of the apps listed at the list created at req. 3 is active
7. The app auto starts itself when phone is switched on by the user;
8. The app is capable of running on Android 6 and Android 7.

Is there any known (free) app that can handle this?

Macrodroid and Llama are free. I'm not familiar enough with either to know whether they meet the OP's requirements (I have Tasker, so don't really need them), but might be worth looking at.

However, since GPS only uses power if an app is using it (i.e. if an app with "fine location" privilege is active) I wonder whether this is really necessary? Could not the same be achieved by just denying (fine) location access to apps you don't want to have it (since we're talking about Android 6/7 explicitly)? That might be more efficient than having an app polling the status every few minutes.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones