• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App to add audio noifications?

zuben el genub

Extreme Android User
Jan 24, 2011
I don't want a flashlight per se -
Is there any app that will beep, squeal, make any noise when a message comes in?
The default messenger on my phone doesn't have an audio notification.

I looked up some notification apps and they all acted like flashlights.

Phone gets buried under what I'm working on - fabric or paper, and I can't find it unless it makes noise. Can't see a flashing light.

I don't want a flashlight per se -
Is there any app that will beep, squeal, make any noise when a message comes in?
The default messenger on my phone doesn't have an audio notification.

I looked up some notification apps and they all acted like flashlights.

Phone gets buried under what I'm working on - fabric or paper, and I can't find it unless it makes noise. Can't see a flashing light.
This is the first time I've heard of a message app with no audio notifications

Upvote 0
I've tried a couple. No audio notifications. There is no setting in the messenger for sound. Will not use the system audio, either. I think it's between the phone and the SIM.

I checked online and all messages were listed. Textra was doing just fine. Then TMOUS started migrating users to new plans, and since then, things haven't worked.

I have missed texts from Sprint users on the Nexus 4. That was usually too many messages. TMO billing always came through. Most people I text are on Sprint.

I simply don't have any apps that can cause that problem. Most of the stuff is reference. I only update if it warrants. Since I don't mess with the phone once I have it my way, there is no reason for it to change. I have the last OTA update and don't see anything in Color OS 2.0 about sound.

Apex has a notifier app that goes with the Launcher. Added that, and at least I now have a red button when there's a new text and it vibrates when using the default messenger.. I might try a new SIM card as a long shot.

Upvote 0
I'm still wondering. Out of the clear blue this AM, I got texts from 1 Sprint friend and with the right notification song. Yesterday, no audio. I have not rebooted phone, cleaned out any cache, pulled SIM or battery. I did delete some folders from apps I had uninstalled and don't want back. None were pertinent to text notify.

Every time I tested with Apex Notifier yesterday, no audio. Today audio with default messenger app.

What's WAP push? That's in messenger settings and I disabled it yesterday.

Upvote 0
I'd think that had been interfering, except default messenger was disabled when using Chomp and Textra. I am still puzzling over the TMO short codes. Those are official and cannot be blocked. (You can request non TMO marketing and you can request not to have all phones on account notified of bill ready and bill paid)

It was still on when I got the last TMO message from paying bill. I hadn't received those messages since December.

The default messenger also has the option of having the message appear on the notification bar. It wouldn't do it when selected. After installing Apex Notifier, it appears. Do you suppose Apex Launcher ignored any notification unless their Notifier was installed? That would explain the ringtone and where message appeared. Notifier is free so that isn't an issue.

I'd had troubles with Sprint before - too many messages. Clean out messages and texts would work again. I was using ADW launcher at the time. No problems with TMO official texts.

Upvote 0
Just found this. It's related to, but is not my actual problem.

http://textra.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/257060-mms-not-working-on-t-mobile-wifi

I guess Textra and Chomp might not play well with TMO.

Apex Notifications and default messenger still behaving.

No notifications would appear in the top bar even by default until I installed Apex Notifications.

Do you suppose Apex Launcher ignored any notification unless their Notifier was installed? That would explain the ringtone and where message appeared. Notifier is free so that isn't an issue.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Textra does work - but TMO has its own built in wifi calling on its branded phones.
Handing over from wifi to traditional is what causes the problem. That link was from Textra itself.

I don't buy branded phones. Therefore, no problem with wifi hand off. Where I had trouble with either Textra or Chomp was the number of texts. (On 2 Nexus phones) I'd forget to delete them. Get too many with one person and you have to clean texts out. I never had a problem with MMS or SMS until November of last year. TMO notices always came through. Last November was when I tried Apex.

I'll see what happens when the next billing cycle ends. Apex seems to be working with the Notifier. Once I see I'm getting TMO short code texts re bill, I will give Nova a shot.
I have to be sure I am getting the text that TMO received payment. I save them and if any question, the text can be emailed, retexted, far easier than a printed receipt.

Last edited:
Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones