1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

App to aid gps when there's no phone service?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by hemidroid, May 14, 2011.

1. hemidroid

hemidroid Lurker

As I understand it, most gps-capable smart-phones use "assisted gps," which means that the gps receiver is a low-powered device that relies on triangulation data from the cell towers to provide low-resolution location information that makes it easier for the gps to find the relevant satellite signals. I've observed that when I fly from the US to Europe with my Verizon Droid and there's no phone service available, the GPS generally is never able to establish a location.

Is there any app, or any other way that I can manually enter a general location (lat/long data, for instance) to give the gps a starting location from which it can find the satellites and then provide standard gps service?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Actually its the opposite nowadays, most phones have a standalone gps receiver. The problem is, apps like Google Maps NEED a data connection to plot your location on a map. Apps like Google My Tracks will record a GPS track, even without a data connection, and download the maps when a connection is re-established.

3. Usta

Usta Android Expert

There is an application called GPS Status, which can download the nformation used to more quickly acquire satellites.