• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App to allow me to browse my EVO like it's on my home network?

Bluetooth File Exchange (OS X only, Applications->Utilities) works great and requires nothing extra on the phone besides pairing - if you're tight on app space you might find something like that for Windows or Linux if that's what you need. For example, I found this at the top of a quick search (so, can't speak for how user-friendly, etc):

Transfer Files Between Devices & Your Windows 7 PC via Bluetooth | Windows 7 Tutorials

Upvote 0
Dropbox is a great way for me to get notes (as text files) on the Evo. For actually getting onto the phone directly, though, I use SwiFTP. It gives your phone a little light weight FTP server you can turn on or off as needed, with basic security settings. Works great for me.

comments on swiftp imply it either doesn't work on 2.2 OTA or it needs root to work. can you chime in on this?

Upvote 0
What's the app to browse my pc from my phone. Sorry a little off topic, figured I wouldn't need a new thread with this one here.

I use ASTRO File Manager - there's also an SMB add-on. EStrong's and AndFTP are also handy - for _large_ files, say 40 MB and better, I prefer AndFTP, but you do need to set up an ftp server.

Upvote 0
You can use SwiFTP Server App on the phone. I'm on an EVO.
The settings are very touchy and have to be set just right for being able to see, or change directories when you connect.
In SwiFTP Settings:
Username: (set the one you want)
Password: (set the one you want)
Port number: 2121
Stay within folder: / (you can't seem to be able to set this to anything else)

Then, use any FTP program to connect to your phone.
You need to know the IP address of your phone on WiFi. The Network Discovery App installed on your Android will tell you that at the very bottom of the screen. You don't need that port number.
However, you do need to tell your computer FTP program to connect to port 2121 as you set on your phone.

I hope this info helps.

Upvote 0
I use ASTRO File Manager - there's also an SMB add-on.
I've found a little trick regarding Astro SMB. When I try to copy large files, any interruption, including screen lock, causes the file to be lost. So whenever I start copying a large file and I want to walk away, I turn on one of my games (in this case Puzzle Attack) that forces the screen to stay on. 500MB files transfers in about 15 minutes. Now, I should really just mount the drive via USB for a file that big, but for some reason it seems like a big hassle to plug in the cable when I can do it wirelessly.

I've also found that it's much faster sending the files than receiving them. I've copied off 300MB of pictures and videos to the PC in shot, and it took a third of the time as it would to copy to the phone.

Upvote 0
Maybe it's just me, but, your question was - how can you access your phone using your home computer? If that is correct, then, my question to anyone who posted here would be, why would you want to access data which is on your phone from your home computer via any other way than with the USB cable. It really makes no sense to be trying to access your phone wirelessly from your home computer(if you are at home, you should have your phone with you). Now, if what you really want to do is be able to share/transfer files back & forth between your home computer and your phone, maybe you should try some of the cloud computing apps out. One in particular that I use is ZumoDrive. If you want to share things like music, documents, videos, etc. another good one is called Mecanto. Also, there is Dropbox, homepipe, I can go on and on. Do a quick search for all of the apps that I mentioned to see if they are what you are looking for. By the way, all of them run on Android and all are free. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Hi all,
Sorry if this is slightly highjacking a thread but can someone suggest the best way of bluetooth connectvity for file transfers between a PC (Windows XP) and an Android device? With my last phone I had an icon in My Computer which I could click on to browse the phone in Bluetooth.
The websharing app is awesome but I wouldn't mind some options for bluetooth as well? If someone can advise on using the FTP server option that might be what I need to do possibly...
Maybe just the PC software I need as I just have native bluetooth support in XP with the little tray icon that just allows you to send or receive a single file when selected (bit annoying!).

Upvote 0
Hi all,
Sorry if this is slightly highjacking a thread but can someone suggest the best way of bluetooth connectvity for file transfers between a PC (Windows XP) and an Android device? With my last phone I had an icon in My Computer which I could click on to browse the phone in Bluetooth.
The websharing app is awesome but I wouldn't mind some options for bluetooth as well? If someone can advise on using the FTP server option that might be what I need to do possibly...
Maybe just the PC software I need as I just have native bluetooth support in XP with the little tray icon that just allows you to send or receive a single file when selected (bit annoying!).

See if this thread has anything helpful - either way, good guys in that thread got it working and will most likely be happy to help -

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/116095-does-anyone-use-bluetooth-evo-computer.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones